ADA MP-1 isn't crisp! 110-120V?

• Members

I've been with my ADA MP-1 for a year or so. And whatever I did to boost her trebles all was in vain. It still isn't as cruncy and crisp as ANY of my other preamp. I think the freqs must be too wry. The ADA's internal EQ doesn't help, only a foreign paramentric EQ and all the same it doesn't give me more open sound. I've tried repal?ing the tubes too; I put very good tubes 12AX7EH that sound very nice in other preamps. A little effect.

So the final thing I can think of is this: I'm using a power converter that transforms 220B down to 110V. Once I heard that the ADA requires 120V to feed its tubes with appropriate voltage. Right now I have no opportunity to check this idea. So I wonder if any one has an idea of what can be wrong with the ADA and may be the problem is in the converter.

Thanks.

• Members

I've used a BBE with mine and it sounded like complete {censored}. Made the tone a lot worse. Some guys on ADADepot use one with their MP-1, most have tried and removed it from their rig. Not trying to be an ass here. It's all personal preference.

One thing you could do is try opening up your unit and adjusting the treble trimpot inside. Make sure you remember where it was before you start.

I've got 3 various models of the MP-1 and I have no problems getting high gain Lynch tones thru my JCM800. See if making these internal adjustments helps. If not, e-mail MarshallJMP at his site, http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/ He is the ADA mod guru in Belgium.

Another option is to replace the transformer with the new MDRT one. It pushes just the right amount of current thru and also helps clean everything up and will eliminate a lot of the noise issues. They should be available in the next couple of weeks for $80.

• Members

http://adadepot.com

Read up on adjusting the trimpots.

+1. The MP-1 is a shredder's dream preamp. It can do clear and crisp all day long, so there has to be something fishy going on in your case... Maybe speakers or some other piece of your rig, etc.

Could be a hardware/component issue with the MP-1, too, I guess. You could try a new tube board or easier cap replacement/noise mod, if the trim pot adjustment doesn't work.

And BBE's suck, BTW. :)

• Members

Ok, thank you guys, I'll try tweaking the trimpot, but from what your links say it's the T2 trimpot that is responsible for the input guitar level and meant to solve low the gain problem (good for active/passive pups ajustment). I think it's fine with the gain in my ADA (classic), but just the sound is too much supressed. With hi gain it is rather tolerably, but with my favorite brown channel I need to scoop 650 Hz to -5db and it seems it hasn't got crispy trebles.

guitarslinger

what pickups were u using in your clip? I liked the access most, but to be honest the tone of the three looks fairly similar.

• Members

write MarshallJMP at his site in the I posted above.

I'm gonna to; There was a small problem with the registration there, these 2 code numbers perplexed me, so now I'm a member I'll copy just my post from here.

Thank you

• Members

+1. The MP-1 is a shredder's dream preamp. It can do clear and crisp all day long, so there has to be something fishy going on in your case... Maybe speakers or some other piece of your rig, etc.

Could be a hardware/component issue with the MP-1, too, I guess. You could try a new tube board or easier cap replacement/noise mod, if the trim pot adjustment doesn't work.

And BBE's suck, BTW.
:)

+1 to everything

Archived