ADA MP-1

• Members

Hey everyone, I currently playing a Rocktron Prophesy 1 right now and although I do like the tone I get, I want to be a little more adventurous to try and get my dream tone. A few years ago I had a friend who played an ADA MP-1 and I LOVED the sound of it. Think I may get one on eBay for cheap, change out the tubes, etc. So what I want to know is, what two 12ax7's will sound great paired together in this preamp?

ALSO! since I am so used to the Rocktron "all in one" type deal...how can I use the ADA MP-1 and an outboard rack effects processor (for now Ill use the effects section of the prophesy and bypass the preamp) via ONE midi footcontroller. What I want to do is be able to switch both devices at once (ex. rhythm tone on ADA/reverb on prophesy, and then a lead tone on ADA/more delay on prophesy) with just one push of a button rather than hooking up a midi controller for each device. Sorry, I know this a is a little long of post, it's just I'm not used to a non all in one processor.

THANKS FELLAS!

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

Connect the midi out of your footcontroller to the MIDI IN of the first unit. Connect the MIDI 'thru' of that unit to the MIDI IN of the second unit.

Since you are using the FCB1010 I would set the units on different MIDI channels.

Jun

• Members

You won't be disappointed with an MP-1. Doug at dougstubes.com recommends high graded JJ's. I use them in all my MP-1's. Other guys use the Chinese 9th gen, Ruby, etc. Check out this section for more info.

http://www.adadepot.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl?board=tubes

I used to run my Xpression and MP-1 with a Rolls Midi Buddy. Really any standard foot controller will change both units. The MP-1 though can not do CC changes, only program changes. So if you want to control say volumen or delay level or something like that, you're gonna need an expression pedal connected to the Rocktron.

BTW, I've got a excellent condition 3TM Ultra modded by the infamous Hairston for sale for $565 plus shipping. It is the ultimate MP-1 that has an extra gain stage and tube, noise mod to eliminate most of the noise that is an issue with stock units, rear jack mod and a couple of other mods. More info at http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/. Hairston was the Mod God for the MP-1 until he disappeared. These are highly sought after units and now the Hairston models are rare.

If you're interested let me know and I can send you some pics.

• Members

I used to run my Xpression and MP-1 with a Rolls Midi Buddy. Really any standard foot controller will change both units. The MP-1 though can not do CC changes, only program changes. So if you want to control say volumen or delay level or something like that, you're gonna need an expression pedal connected to the Rocktron.

BTW, I've got a excellent condition 3TM Ultra modded by the infamous Hairston for sale for $565 plus shipping. It is the ultimate MP-1 that has an extra gain stage and tube, noise mod to eliminate most of the noise that is an issue with stock units, rear jack mod and a couple of other mods. More info at
. Hairston was the Mod God for the MP-1 until he disappeared. These are highly sought after units and now the Hairston models are rare.

If you're interested let me know and I can send you some pics.

Hey man, thanks for the offer. I'll look into that. Can you send me some pics to puppets512@patmedia.net? Also you said that the MP-1 can't do CC changes. What exactly does that mean? It can't use an expression pedal to adjust parameters? I usually don't do that anyway...just change presets. So hopefully the MP-1 won't be a problem.

• Members

Hey LIVEtoROCK86,

I've been using ADA MP-1 preamps since 1993. I own 2 3TM "ultra modded" ADA Depot MP-1 preamps. Both modified by Hairston Bagg of ADA Depot. If you buy the ADA MP-1 preamp and decide to have it modified, get this mod:

http://www.marshalljmpmodshop.net/mp1%203tm%20ultra.htm

It has some really brutal gain to it. This is what I had done to my ADA Depot 3TM "ultra modded" MP-1 preamp. It's not cheap, but once it's installed, your modded MP-1 preamp will put a Triaxis, Rocktron Pirahna or any other guitar preamp to shame.

Guitar George

• Members

Hey man, thanks for the offer. I'll look into that. Can you send me some pics to
? Also you said that the MP-1 can't do CC changes. What exactly does that mean? It can't use an expression pedal to adjust parameters? I usually don't do that anyway...just change presets. So hopefully the MP-1 won't be a problem.

For what you want to do, change presets on the Rocktron and MP-1, it will do that. CC basically means for example: changing the delay or verb level, volume level, adding more or less of some effect. Not change the effect, but various parameters of an effect. Program Change (which is what you want) is doable.

I am selling what Hamer listed above. Modded by the same guy (Hairston) Sent external and internal pics to your email.

• Members

Wow, seems like all of you guys got your MP-1's modded bu Hairston. I've been checking that out, considering it...think I may sell some older rack gear and invest in this. How much of an improvement over the original MP-1 is it? I'm guessing there is an extra tube, extra gain stage....thoughts??

• Members

Wow, seems like all of you guys got your MP-1's modded bu Hairston. I've been checking that out, considering it...think I may sell some older rack gear and invest in this. How much of an improvement over the original MP-1 is it? I'm guessing there is an extra tube, extra gain stage....thoughts??

Here are some clips I made a while back. Maybe they'll give you a bit of an idea:

http://www.netmusicians.org/index.php?value=Duke%20of%20Metal&section=user

Dont mind the Random wankage on the Lead Clip :D

Cheers

• Members

DAMN BOYS! This thing really creates that classic 80's metal tone, exactly what I'm going for...some Vai, some Satch, but also some in your face thrash like Testament, Megadeth, Slayer....seems like this will do it all, especially with the extra gain stage. What are the best tubes to throw in the modded ADA? I've heard JJ's, Groove Tubes. What do you think?

• Members

Do any of you guys use the ADA with an outboard graphic/parametric EQ? Or does it sound pretty damn good itself?

It sounds fine on its own, but it sounds even better with a parametric or graphic EQ. That's how I run my 4U rig :MP-1 -> G-Force -> stereo power amp -> cabs.

• Members

It sounds fine on its own, but it sounds even better with a parametric or graphic EQ. That's how I run my 4U rig :MP-1 -> G-Force -> stereo power amp -> cabs.

That's actually the route im thinking of taking...mp-1 3tm --> g major or some other effects processor --> probably a VHT 2/90/2 --> and a stereo cab

Also thought about the Triaxis instead of the modded MP-1. Do you guys think I would get a better shred tone (vai, gilbert, friedman, satch, etc.) from the modded ADA or the Triaxis?

• Members

Yo guys, i really think i am leaning towards the ADA. But, im a little undecided as to whether or not I get the original MP-1 on eBay for $150, or do I go the modded 3TM Ulra route and pay $600. Is the 3TM (or any modded MP-1 for that matter) much better than the original? Or is the original the grand daddy? Just wanna hear what you guys think. It's a big price difference.

• Members

Yo guys, i really think i am leaning towards the ADA. But, im a little undecided as to whether or not I get the original MP-1 on eBay for $150, or do I go the modded 3TM Ulra route and pay $600. Is the 3TM (or any modded MP-1 for that matter) much better than the original? Or is the original the grand daddy? Just wanna hear what you guys think. It's a big price difference.

• Members

• Members

Do any of you guys use the ADA with an outboard graphic/parametric EQ? Or does it sound pretty damn good itself?

With the 3TM plugged into the VHT, you most likely wont need any type of EQ. I used to use the Parametric EQ on my Rocktron Replifex but dont use it anymore as the 3TM sounds pretty tight and aggressive without it.

Cheers

• Members

Gimme411 is nice enough to offer me a 3TM for a low price, however, I've also come across somebody who is selling an MP-1 that is in perfect working order and has been deluxe modded by Voodoo Amps. I have heard from a few friends that Voodoo Amps does amazing work and that the modded MP-1's sound amazing...after hearing sound clips, it definately does. I've heard clips of the 3TM and it doesnt sound as clear, but I think this is because of the recording quality, not the unit itself. What do you guys prefer...a Deluxe Modded MP-1 from Voodoo Amps, or the 3TM mod from ADA depot?

P.S. Absolutely NO OFFENSE to you Gimme411, just trying to get some opinions here before I make a purchase, I appreciate your offer to sell me a great unit!

• Members

Gimme411 is nice enough to offer me a 3TM for a low price, however, I've also come across somebody who is selling an MP-1 that is in perfect working order and has been deluxe modded by Voodoo Amps. I have heard from a few friends that Voodoo Amps does amazing work and that the modded MP-1's sound amazing...after hearing sound clips, it definately does. I've heard clips of the 3TM and it doesnt sound as clear, but I think this is because of the recording quality, not the unit itself. What do you guys prefer...a Deluxe Modded MP-1 from Voodoo Amps, or the 3TM mod from ADA depot?

P.S. Absolutely NO OFFENSE to you Gimme411, just trying to get some opinions here before I make a purchase, I appreciate your offer to sell me a great unit!

If you want the clean tube channel, the 3TM virtually eliminates it, it becomes sort a 'melting plexi' sound which is pretty excellent in it's own right... but that's something to be aware of if you go 3TM. The Clean SS channel, is REALLY good, I've heard it's largely a copy of the Roland JC-120 and I believe it. So, it still does a good 80's SS style clean.

Personally, unless you really want to do the Br00T4lz, I would get a stock unit and then consider modding it after the fact. The stock unit with an EQ after it (ala G-Major et al) is truly great and amazingly versatile.

I've never cared for the Voodoo Mod on the MP-1. I think it sounds worse than stock.

• Members

No worries bro. I understand you want to get something you can enjoy.

I've never personally played any VA modded. Flame wars are everywhere saying the VA is better or the Depot one is better. I love the Depot one and have no desire to try one of Trace's modded units.

Some peeps like the tone of the stock unit, other like the 3TM. I used my 3TM with cleans and it did well, the master had to be turned up a little more but it still sounded pretty good. I now have a modded stock unit (that sounds weird) that I use for cleans.

Whether you choose the 3TM or the stock unit, you won't be disappointed.

• Members

What do you guys prefer...a Deluxe Modded MP-1 from Voodoo Amps, or the 3TM mod from ADA depot?

Hey LIVEtoROCK86,

If you're deciding between the 2 modified ADA MP-1 preamps, the ADA Depot 3TM mod MP-1 "Ultra + " preamp is the one to have!!!

Guitar George

Archived