DigiTech GSP-1101...In Review

• Members

Hallo,

does the internal loop make any change in the original guitar signal?

I had the 2120 before which had the internal loop possibility too and it changed the sound very badly.

Did you compared the 1101 with a TC G-Force?

If yes how is the sound of the effects in comparison?

Greetz,

@ba

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

It's more closely related to the RP350 than the GNX3K, or any of the workstations. Think of it as a more (completely?) transparent, better sounding RP350 with some new features and possibilities.

There's a few owner's here that could give you better info if you have specific questions.

Is it still relatively transparent if you are using an outboard tube preamp and the GSP 1101's speaker simulation? I realize that the speaker sims are designed to color the signal in certain ways, but is there any audible compression, limiting, or digitization created by the GSP's pre in this context, i.e., tube preamp in GSP's loop with the GSP speaker sims active/GSP preamp in "direct" mode?

• Members

If you want clean effects and stomps. decent effects like a G major yes. Is it like the G system? Not even close.

Modeling works like other modeling. You need a transparent source to use the cab sims and modeling. Modeling to me as always sounds bad through a guitar amp (compressed, thin, colored).

For my effect only use, I like it. Its pretty transparent.

Buddy of mine has an RP350 and we checked its models and GSP. Sounded very close through the same PA. The clean models on the GSP did not clip like the RP350 exact same model did. There is something else to the models on the GSP is what we assumed.

My gripe, 2 delay chanels would have been better. Will they add that in a firmware change? to me its doubtful. GSP does its job for me. It does not detract from my amplifeirs unless I use modeling on the front end which is a bad thing to do from what I know.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hello all, I am a new member and was doing research on this unit. I have been playing through my GSP 2101 for over ten years and love everything about it, but it has been doing some weird stuff lately during live shows and I think maybe its time to get something new. Can I control the GSP 1101 with the control one or the johnson j-12? I plan to use this as my main unit...meaning guitar>gsp 1101>BBE sonic maximiser>Mesa Boogie Dual one hundred stereo power amp>2 Marshall 4x12 cabs. Does any one out there have the gsp 1101 in a similar set up? and if so, how do you like it? I play progressive metal mainly and would be counting on getting some chunky distortion out of it like my gsp 2101. Oh yeah....since it's a digital unit it shouldn't have the memory battery inside that you have to change every 5 to 6 years....Right?

• Members

Can I control the GSP 1101 with the control one or the johnson j-12?

I very much doubt it. However, they are making a new controller specifically for the 1101. IIRC, Digitech/Johnson developed a proprietary way of handling MIDI commands on the 21xx series foot controller DIN jack, in addition to the standard MIDI on the in/out/thru jacks.

• Members

I play progressive metal mainly and would be counting on getting some chunky distortion out of it like my gsp 2101.

If you are used to a preamp and that is what you are looking for, I'd personally look at getting another used GSP2101 or getting another similar unit that is a dedicated preamp + FX unit like a Voodoo Valve or Tubefex or something rather than a modeler. You could also consider a preamp+fx as two units and get exactly what you want...

I'd think those would likely be better approaches for replacing the 2101, rather than the 1101. Digitech's modeling stuff does not really suit everyone distortion wise, in fact some people struggle to get good live tones with any modeler. I think it is doable but may not be worth the hassle to you as a drop-in for a unit you are happy with. I'd say demo it when used as a preamp if you decide to continue to pursue it.

Really, you're lucky to have something you're satisfied with. Most HCers are constantly searching for gear. ;) I'd personally get another 2101 if I felt the way you do.

Otherwise, have fun evaluating. :thu:

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

I am curently running a rocktron xpression in the series loop of a Randall RM100. I really like the idea of the gsp being able to place FX in front of the pre and also after.

Does anyone think dumping the rocktron for the gsp would give me more sounds and better tone?

• Members

I am curently running a rocktron xpression in the series loop of a Randall RM100. I really like the idea of the gsp being able to place FX in front of the pre and also after.

Does anyone think dumping the rocktron for the gsp would give me more sounds and better tone?

Two guys did that and they seem to be happy with the change:

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1761004&highlight=digitech+1101

Archived