Delay and Reverb rack question!!

• Members

I am pretty new to the world of racks,I've always just used floor stompboxes and been cool with that,but I really would like to run a rack reverb and delay unit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for one. I don't need any other effects in the unit so just something that does those two things very well is good with me. Also would like to stay in about the $200-$300 range. I'm running a Randall RM100 head into a Randall 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30's.

• Members

That's exactly what I'm doing. I believe Lexicon makes the best affordable processors.

Drop $100-$200 on a used MPX-110 up to MPX-550. They get more complicated as you go up in numbers but it also means they're much more tweakable. The limitation of these processors is that you can only run two simultaneous effects + compression on the 200 and 550.

Is complicated too complicated?

I found the programming for the MPX-550 very intuitive and I was building my own patches they day I received it but I have an intuitive understanding of computers and midi.

• Members

I am pretty new to the world of racks,I've always just used floor stompboxes and been cool with that,but I really would like to run a rack reverb and delay unit and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for one. I don't need any other effects in the unit so just something that does those two things very well is good with me. Also would like to stay in about the $200-$300 range. I'm running a Randall RM100 head into a Randall 4x12 loaded with Vintage 30's.

Rocktron Intellifex

TC Electronic G-Major

• Members

You might be able to find an intellifex for a little cheaper than a lexicon. Though the last I checked G-Majors were going for $250+ on ebay.

I'm not a big fan of the G-Major but I've never owned one so lack of experience with it my have fueled the lackluster performance I received. Though from what I've heard the way to make one sound great is to use it with a parallel effects loop in your amp if you have one. As far as cosmetics I've heard the problem with them is the buttons tend to fall off.

I've seriously considered rectifying the situation of never have tried one at great length and buying one but inadequate funds has resulted in me not yet doing so but if I have the extra money I will soon.

• Members

Rocktron Intellifex

TC Electronic G-Major

The thing about those two are they have some many more effects then what I need. I really don't want to have to tweak 20 buutons just for reverb and some delay. Thats my problem, I have looked at the G-major and the Intelliflex just overkill for my uses!

• Members

Do you need several different delay and reverb settings or just the ability to turn them on or off?

If the latter, and you already have floor units you're happy with, you could mount them on a rack shelf and access them via a Midi controlled looper like the Voodoo Labs GCX switcher.

Not necessarily the right answer for you but it's an option.

• Members

The thing about those two are they have some many more effects then what I need. I really don't want to have to tweak 20 buutons just for reverb and some delay. Thats my problem, I have looked at the G-major and the Intelliflex just overkill for my uses!

I think the Intellifex would be your best choice for simplicity and reverb/delay. The programming is done with 2-3 knobs and IMHO sounds better than the G-Major. The G-Major has a ton of options and could get very detailed in programming, although, it doesn't have to be. I had problems with the data wheel not being accurate on the G-Major, never with any buttons falling off.

Intellifex is a way cheaper than a G-Major, too.

Scott

• Members

The thing is: You aren't required to use anything, other than the effects that you need, so you only have to tweak the reverb and delay settings on your patch, then store. It's less expensive than some other solutions and just my $.02... I'd rather have more and NOT need it, than the other way around. :thu:

• Members

The thing is: You aren't required to use anything, other than the effects that you need, so you only have to tweak the reverb and delay settings on your patch, then store. It's less expensive than some other solutions and just my $.02... I'd rather have more and NOT need it, than the other way around.
:thu:

I understand I'm not required to use all the effects I was only implying that i did'nt want to spend extra money for 20 effects if all i'm gonna use are two. That was my point,less money less effects! Just thought there was easy and cheaper way to get a good reverb and delay,i guess not. Thanks for all the replies!!

• Members

I understand I'm not required to use all the effects I was only implying that i did'nt want to spend extra money for 20 effects if all i'm gonna use are two. That was my point,less money less effects! Just thought there was easy and cheaper way to get a good reverb and delay,i guess not. Thanks for all the replies!!

Nah, the Intellifex can be purchased for $200 or less. If you are looking for better quality for less, good luck... I would argue that it isn't going to happen. The pedals that I am aware of that I would say are worth getting for, Reverb and delay (TC Nova Delay, TC Electronic Nova Reverb, Eventide Time Factor, Eventide Mod Factor) will likely end up costing your twice as much, or more than the Intellifex.

Best of luck :thu:

Archived