Where would you go from here?

• Members

so, my rig for now is like this:

Mesa/Boogie Studio Preamp, Soldano SP-77 mkII, ENGL E530

these all go into the loops of my G-System along with a Big Muff PI and are then fed into a Mesa/Boogie 50/50 slave all going into a 4x12 Hiwatt cab with original 1962 vox blue-back's

I'm perfectly happy with every piece of this, and i'm not looking to replace any of them (unless someone has a bogner fish they'll swap for the E530 - like that's ever gonna happen :lol: ).

I don't need power conditioning, as we only play venues with conditioned power, so the furman's are out of discussion :p

I've got a sonic maximizer as well, but i don't like the "thing" it does to my sound, and as all of my units have been serviced and top-tuned recently, i'm really happy with the way they sound. -so i stuffed it into the "studio-thingie-rack" instead.

I've been thinking of getting a rackmounted CryBaby if i get across any - any alternatives for this one? MIDI controlled eventually?.

What would you stuff in the pile next?

• Members

EVENTIDE!

You already have the G-System but who cares!

Yay - more spaceship bling for the rack.. no seriously, i was actually considering using my old midi board instead of the one included with the G-System, cause i think it looks incredibly geeky - but what does the evetide units actually do, except from sounding awesome at an obscene price? ;) can you program the effects chain like on the g-force or something like that?

• Members

hey - i'll just post answers to my own thread as well...

how about a wireless system? any recommendations on one of these? I've been looking at some shure units, but they seemed quite poorly constructed at the price...

oh yes, i'm the jump-around-and-smash-things-type-of-guy, so i really like my stuff to be "heavy duty" just to be sure it'll withstand my (ab)use :lol:

• Members

Hey grrrunge,

Get rid of the BBE Sonic Maximizer. Get a Furman power conditioner. Quite a few venues have "dirty" voltage. If you want the Dunlop rackmounted Crybaby wah, you'll have to run it into one of your TC Electronics G-System's loop or have a regular Crybaby wah pedal in line to your preamps.

Guitar George

• Members

Hey grrrunge,

Get rid of the BBE Sonic Maximizer. Get a Furman power conditioner. Quite a few venues have "dirty" voltage. If you want the Dunlop rackmounted Crybaby wah, you'll have to run it into one of your TC Electronics G-System's loop or have a regular Crybaby wah pedal in line to your preamps.

Guitar George

...but - we only play venues with conditioned power - that's part of the rider ;-) if we don't see the conditioner, we're not playing... and the BBE got out of my guitar rack waay back, and is only used for studio appliances (which i like by the way, but mostly for drums...)

Putting the rack wah in one of the loops, was already what i had in mind if i get one of those. For now, three of the five loops are occupied with the pre's and one loop in front of these has the big muff - leaving me with only one loop left for... well... wah :D i'd really like that alot!

• Members

1) Wireless. I hate playing without one. I got my first one in 1994 and haven't looked back.

2) Rack Wah. I added a rack wah by means of an Alesis CF-1 expression pedal, an Anatek Pocket Pedal to turn it into Midi CC data, and a Viscount EFX-10 half rack processor, all to avoid running cables to the front of stage and back. It's no Dunlop but it works for me and cost me about

• Members

First off, nice rig.

Next, I know a 50/50 seems like enough power, but you can do better, tone-wise with other power amps. It will sound drastically different. VHT 2902 or VHT 2150

3rd, I know it's totally sweet to have lots of preamps, BUT, a CAE 3+ will do the sounds of the Soldano (and do them better). Also, I'm getting rid of my Quad b/c the CAE does those tones too.

I'm sure the 530 has a pretty unique, modern tone though. So, you should probably keep that.

• Members

First off, nice rig.

Next, I know a 50/50 seems like enough power, but you can do better, tone-wise with other power amps. It will sound drastically different. VHT 2902 or VHT 2150

3rd, I know it's totally sweet to have lots of preamps, BUT, a CAE 3+ will do the sounds of the Soldano (and do them better). Also, I'm getting rid of my Quad b/c the CAE does those tones too.

I'm sure the 530 has a pretty unique, modern tone though. So, you should probably keep that.

Sweet... I always admired your posts in the "post your rack" sections ;)

I'm just wondering - how much would i benefit from a VHT power-amp compared to the Mesa 50/50? what are they like tonewise? I really dig the "dry" vibrant sounds i get from my 50/50 no matter what i plug in front, and the VHT rack stuff isn't that common here in Denmark, so i'm wondering whether it'll be worth the effort..?

Furthermore, i've been having my eye on the CAE3+ for quite a while. I think i can recall you posting stuff about having bought a SP77 a while ago - how much better is it, compared to the 1600$ (excluding taxes and shipping, of course) i'd have to pay more for the CAE3+ than i did for the SP77

• Members

The VHT power amps will be louder. They will kick you in the crotch with punch. They will have slightly more bass. They will have a clearer, yet more pleasing treble.

It's a big difference. Think of the Megadeth Countdown to Extinction album for reference.

The SP-77 is ok. But, the gain channel seems to only sound good at one setting (to me). Also, it just really seems to need some kind of boost in order to start soloing (assuming it was being used alone). The clean channel is nice, but again, not as nice as the CAE 3+'s clean channel. The redeeming feature of the SP-77 is that it looks awesome, and it's a really good value.

Starsnuffer had a good point. THe preamp loops on the g system are going to rob some tone from your badass preamps.

You might consider using one preamp with a line mixer and the g system in order to keep a fully dry signal from your preamp.

Another interesting switcher for which you should look: the Uptown Flash. It's a midi controllable 2 in/ 8 out or 8 in/ 2 out. or 1 in/4out/4 in/1 out.

It rare, but outrageously versatile for your kind of application.

After all is said and done, I would seek out more power amps to try. There are lots of choices that tickle my fancy more than the mesa 50/50.

Langner Brutus

Hughes & Kettner VS250

VHT 2502

VHT 2902

VHT 2100

VHT 2150

VHT Black Beauty

Marshall 9100

Marshall 9200

Marshall 9005

Marshall el34 50/50

Marshall el34 100/100

Rivera TBR 3

Rivera TBR 5

Mesa 2:90

Mesa strategy 500

Mesa Strategy 400

Mesa simul 295

Mesa SImul 395

Mesa M180

Mesa M190

Mesa recto 2/100

etc.

• Members

The VHT power amps will be louder. They will kick you in the crotch with punch. They will have slightly more bass. They will have a clearer, yet more pleasing treble.

It's a big difference. Think of the Megadeth Countdown to Extinction album for reference.

The SP-77 is ok. But, the gain channel seems to only sound good at one setting (to me). Also, it just really seems to need some kind of boost in order to start soloing (assuming it was being used alone). The clean channel is nice, but again, not as nice as the CAE 3+'s clean channel. The redeeming feature of the SP-77 is that it looks awesome, and it's a really good value.

Starsnuffer had a good point. THe preamp loops on the g system are going to rob some tone from your badass preamps.

You might consider using one preamp with a line mixer and the g system in order to keep a fully dry signal from your preamp.

Another interesting switcher for which you should look: the Uptown Flash. It's a midi controllable 2 in/ 8 out or 8 in/ 2 out. or 1 in/4out/4 in/1 out.

It rare, but outrageously versatile for your kind of application.

After all is said and done, I would seek out more power amps to try. There are lots of choices that tickle my fancy more than the mesa 50/50.

Langner Brutus

Hughes & Kettner VS250

VHT 2502

VHT 2902

VHT 2100

VHT 2150

VHT Black Beauty

Marshall 9100

Marshall 9200

Marshall 9005

Marshall el34 50/50

Marshall el34 100/100

Rivera TBR 3

Rivera TBR 5

Mesa 2:90

Mesa strategy 500

Mesa Strategy 400

Mesa simul 295

Mesa SImul 395

Mesa M180

Mesa M190

Mesa recto 2/100

etc.

Well - i'll start off wit h the stuff i already tried, and never really bothered about:

the marshall EL34 stuff... i'm just more into 6L6 - i fits me better, sweeter and smoother. More woody and dry, if you know what i mean.

The mesa 2:90 was the top of my wishlist for a very very long time, but when i finally got a hold of it, the simul-class stuff wasn't really my thing either. -too little "in-your-face-ness" and too much bold "i wanna be jazz someday" to it. that's why i never bothered more about the simul-class units. the recto 2:100 is - as far as i know - a class A/B slave like the 50/50, but seriously - the 50/50 is insanely loud already. What would i need another 50 watts per side for? I'm turning this baby up to 3-3.5 at rehearsals and 5-7 for gigs, and i'm covered...

Our lead singer has the Marshall 9200 slave, and i tried it several times. I just don't like the feel of it, even though it has 6L6's. Still too british.

This leaves me, i guess, with the langner, rivera, vht and hughes & kettner units to try.

Any recommendations then?

• Members

BTW - guitarslinger, you've got some rack wah's as well, that are not crybaby's... how are they like, and how/when/where do i get hold of one? i searched for links etc. on google. but found nothing useful - just a gazillion links stating "this is the type of rack wah metallica uses.."

care to share any info? i'd be grateful!

• Members

BTW - guitarslinger, you've got some rack wah's as well, that are not crybaby's... how are they like, and how/when/where do i get hold of one? i searched for links etc. on google. but found nothing useful - just a gazillion links stating "this is the type of rack wah metallica uses.."

care to share any info? i'd be grateful!

You're thinking of 4NKAM. He has those EMB units the Kirk Hammett and Slash both used.

I don't have any wahs right now. It's my least favorite effect.:cool::p

Archived