Finally fixed the ground/hum issue in my rack!!

• Members

I always knew my Korg Delay was passing some sort of a low digital/hum noise through my rig but i couldnt figure out how to get rid of it..

Well, today i fixed that problem!!

These older Korg units (as i'm sure alot of other 80's rack units) had only a 2 prong power cable. So I decided to swap in a 3 prong power cable and now its all fixed :D

Here are some pics.. Check out the number of trim pots, there has to be at least 20 of them!!

IMG_0766.jpg

Before:

IMG_0764.jpg

After:

IMG_0777.jpg

This is a mod that you guys should consider if you have hum and units with older 2 prong power plugs.. This mod took me about 20mins start to finish..

• Members

Yeah, this "mod" only cost about $4.99 :D

There is still a touch of that digital signal noise, but i think thats just the nature of the Korg Delay.. Its better than it was before, so i'm happy!! Not to mention this qualifies as a piece of mind type mod..

I cant wait to do this when i get my other SDD2k sometime this week :)

• Members

Oh ya, i should also mention that doing this also physically cleaned up my rack.. The power cable is now only about 1.5ft long as opposed to 12873918273ft of power cable the korg came with..

Nice and tidy in me rack now.. Arrrr!

:D

Pics??? It's REQUIRED, immediately. ;)

• Members

Hahah.. I'll take some once i get the other delay, i undid all of my power cables and such to pull out the Korg unit..

Have no fear, clean rack gear is near!!

Glad to hear that it's all coming together. TIP: in case you may find it useful, route your power cables, including walwart transformers to one side of your rack, and your audio cables to the other, to minimize RF interference.

Keep Rockin :thu:

• Members

It might just be the pic, but it looked as though you might have a dry solder joint on the power board. Did the cable move at all while the solder was solidifying? If the device is working fine, don't worry about it, but if at some point in the future it suddenly goes dead, that'd be the first thing to check.

Definatly a good move though...

• Members

Welp, i shortened the power cables on both my Mp1 and my Korg Tuner.. I totally forgot how long the power cord was on my tuner, just retarded. I think between the MP1, Tuner and the Delay I must have cut out about 20'ft of power cable out of 6 space rack.. Thats a whole lotta bunched up cable stuffed in the back..

I'll post pics in a few!

• Members

Here are the pics as promised.. I'll do a rear rack shot once my other SDD gets here

Is there really a point to such a long power cord for a tuner?

IMG_0801.jpg

Connections made..

IMG_0803.jpg

New shortened power cable..

IMG_0804.jpg

Mp-1

IMG_0805.jpg

;):thu:

I just clip the ends and put new ends on. hehehehe

Archived