Rack Fans Question

• Members

MAUQSF4-large.jpg

I was thinking about getting one of these to pop in between my pre and power amp but was curious if any one uses them or think they are even worth buying? I definitely don't want it to cause any kind of electrical noise in my rig and I haven't completely put my rack together so I don't know how hot it is going to get.

My wife thinks that if I have over $2000 in my rack then a $100 fan can't hurt :p

• Members

You can dump less money for better ventilation.

They make standard-chassis fans whose corner holes just happen to fit rack screw spacings. Like these:

259-150m.jpg

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&Partnumber=259-150

You can fit this fan to the rear rack rails of your rack, it takes about a 3U space, and is dirt cheap compared to that four-fan array. Two of these guys will run you $31 and move a LOT of air. I've done this and just chopped simple ungrounded extension cords to make their power cables. One on each side of a rack, and you're pushing a miniature gale in that rack. But you're not trapping off the back of your rack making it difficult to reach in and access cables or wires. Think about it... in the middle of a show, something goes wrong, you wanna be able to reach in back and plug/unplug stuff without obstructions, right? Having two fans on the sides and nothing in the way in the middle is a better situation for you.

• Members

Cash don't mean {censored} when you've got creativity! Plus, trapping the back of your rack so the air MUST flow through to the front is a damn nice idea. You've got that back panel on a hinge, so you can get to your crap without a screwdriver, so you've still got the natural intuition serving you properly.

Damn good job.

Archived