Jackson JX-3

• Members

I just got one of these a few days ago:

Jackson-JX-3-front.jpg

Jackson-JX-3-rear.jpg

It's a Jackson JX-3 tube preamp.

It features two channels "A" and "B" with separate EQ's, a "Shred" (gain boost) function that can be added to channel "B", master volume for Left and Right outputs, a bright switch, stereo output, switchable FX db, two footswitch jacks - one for channels "A" and "B" and one for the "Shred" boost, all driven by two 12AX7 tubes.

It's missing one of the white pushbuttons on the back but, other than that, it's in pretty good shape for being about 20 years old. When I opened it up, I discovered it still had the original Jackson labeled tubes inside. All I did was spray a quick coat of paint on the housing to cover some scratches that went down to bare metal and added some temporary rubber feet.

This is pretty much an 80's shred machine. Right now, I have it hooked up to my Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. It's a bit noisy, but I suppose that can be expected with something that has so much gain. In any case, I'm glad I finally found one! :)

• Members

I read consistently positive reviews on those. As a big fan of Jackson (several of their guitars, a 4x12 cab with Jackson-logo'd speakers, an Apogee Tube 50 combo amp at one time) I'd love to try one out, but have no money for more rack gear.

Are the channels footswitchable? How about the loop loop?

• Members

I read consistently positive reviews on those. As a big fan of Jackson (several of their guitars, a 4x12 cab with Jackson-logo'd speakers, an Apogee Tube 50 combo amp at one time) I'd love to try one out, but have no money for more rack gear.

Are the channels footswitchable? How about the loop loop?

I tried the footswitch from my SLO with this and it works fine. I should receive another dedicated footswitch for it in a few days.

I haven't tried the stereo output or other features.

Here's an old 50 watt Jackson JG-2 amp that's part of my collection: (Everything else I have is fairly new.)

JG2-front.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Nice preamp ! I have one and has been very nice but now requires a little service. Maybe do you know where to find the schematics ? a search on the net gave no info. thx

I haven't been able to locate a schematic, yet. :idk:

(Edited the 1st post to include footswitch jack assignments.)

Archived