TC 2290

• Members

Well it looks like I may have scored a 2290 and should have it before the end of the week at this stage...

So in some weird effort to be prepared I thought I'd ask for any tips/tricks/advice/gotcha's on the unit so that I can be as prepared as possible for its arrival :thu:

• Members

As a 2290 user for several years I strongly urge you to download the manual and read it.

The 2290 is SOOOO easy once you know it, but it will take some reading to really get the most from it. Some of the coolest things it can do have to do with the modulations so you really need to spend a bit of time with those sections. The 2290 comes with 20 presets and 99 user slots. If you follow along with the manual it will help you create another 10 or so in the "psuedo tutorial" in the manual.

Enjoy. I think it is tops! If you are anything like me, you will wonder why you did not pony up the cash earlier so you could have been enjoying it 10 years earlier.

Keep in mind that the 2290 is mono in, and stereo out. You DO WANT TO BE STEREO out, or you are only getting a little bit of the mojo.

• Members

Well it looks like I may have scored a 2290 and should have it before the end of the week at this stage...

So in some weird effort to be prepared I thought I'd ask for any tips/tricks/advice/gotcha's on the unit so that I can be as prepared as possible for its arrival
:thu:

The tc 2290 manual is easily the most well written, and easy to follow manual I've ever read. After going through the front panel controls, it walks you through making the 1st 10 presets. When you're done creating those, you'll have a pretty good working knowledge of how to get the sounds you're after out of it.

• Members

The manual download I did a couple of days ago - I've started reading it, but obviously it will make more sense with the unit actually in front of me.. ;)

So how about different stuff like connections and all, I notice it has different levels for 1/4" compared to XLR, but what do you connect to that has XLR's?

Other tips like that would be awesome!

• Members

The manual download I did a couple of days ago - I've started reading it, but obviously it will make more sense with the unit actually in front of me..
;)

So how about different stuff like connections and all, I notice it has different levels for 1/4" compared to XLR, but what do you connect to that has XLR's?

Other tips like that would be awesome!

There is a huge difference in clarity w/ XLR but even with the 1/4" you'll not believe your ears. You connect xlr jacks to the xlr jacks... ;) and on the other side depends on your interface... In my application they connect to TRS 1/4" jacks from my switching system to the 2290's input, and from the 2290's outputs xlr to trs 1/4" to my line mixer.

NAMMpics016A.jpg

NAMMpics017.jpg

NAMMpics025.jpg

• Members

There is more headroom in the XLR jacks, but the 1/4 inch still sound great.

I connect to a Switchblade, so I can run balanced and therefore use the XLR.

If you cannot, then just plan to run the 1/4 inch.

Are you connecting post amp, pre amp, in a mixer?? How will you run it?

The Edge runs his in front of his amps (as you may know), but I usually run mine after my amp for W/D/W or in effects loop as needed.

• Members

I will have it in a mixer in the long term (3-4 weeks away).

I am looking into a Rane sm26b as my mixer option - other suggestions are welcome. This will plug into a GCX (I'd love a switchblade but since the AUD just went parachuting - and forgot the parachute - that will not happen anytime soon)

There will be three possible combinations that I will run it with, based on my three amps. They are:

In front of the Hiwatt (it has no loop at all)

Between the triaxis and the 2:90.

In the loop 2 of the road king.

I will not run all three at once, or even have them cabled to run like this at the same time, rather, I want to experiment with the different options listed above and see which one works best for me.

• Members

Since you just dropped the cash for a 2290, I would recommend avoiding the Rane and going for a higher quality mixer like a CAE or Skrydstrup (sp), you really the difference between these and other cheaper mixers.

This is true, however; the ranes have been used in many rigs-- including my own, and CAE built rigs for a long time and will suffice. IF you're going to go for the rane, might I suggest against the 'B' version as you'll need the required power supply with it, the earlier ones don't require an external power supply.

• Members

This is true, however; the ranes have been used in many rigs-- including my own, and CAE built rigs for a long time and will suffice. IF you're going to go for the rane, might I suggest against the 'B' version as you'll need the required power supply with it, the earlier ones don't require an external power supply.

So are they just called sm26? Not a or anything?:confused:

Thanks for that piece of knowledge - external power supplies are annoying.:thu:

• Members

Since you just dropped the cash for a 2290, I would recommend avoiding the Rane and going for a higher quality mixer like a CAE or Skrydstrup (sp), you really the difference between these and other cheaper mixers.

I've had this conversation elsewhere. The reason they are both ruled out is a lack of a local distributor.

• Members

So are they
just called sm26
? Not a or anything?
:confused:
Thanks for that piece of knowledge - external power supplies are annoying.
:thu:

Correct.

They look the same from the front, but I think the LED on the front is a different color too. I forget....

Here is a pic of two I had in a previous rig:

Picture136.jpg

• Members

Time for me to start posting a few "WANTED: sm26, not version b" ad's me thinks.....

The thing about the power supply on the sm26B is that it has a (what looks like a phone plug) end that attaches to the mixer itself... I dunno why they did that, but... they did.

I was very happy with my Rane SM26 mixers which I used problem free for 10+ years. They are definitely like a swiss army knife, in the routing options that they provide. You'll have a blast. :thu:

• Members

My post should have included a YMMV, of course the SM-26 has been used in countless pro rigs through out the years and is an excellent tool. But I cannot deny my love for my CAE mixer, although I can see why it might be a bit of a hassle for someone located on the other side of the globe :)

• Members

My post should have included a YMMV, of course the SM-26 has been used in countless pro rigs through out the years and is an excellent tool. But I cannot deny my love for my CAE mixer, although I can see why it might be a bit of a hassle for someone located on the other side of the globe
:)

No worries... I use a CAE full rack space dual 5 ch stereo line mixer and LOVE it too. :thu:

• Members

can someone once and for all explain to me why do you need a mixer in you're rig ?

Thanks!

Line Mixers provide 2 primary functions in guitar effects systems:

1) Depending on system configuration, stereo line mixers allow multiple 1 in, 2 out effects processors to be used effectively in stereo.

2) Line mixers can provide a clean, shorter signal path when using many effects devices. Also, it is not necessary to rely on each effect device for the direct unprocessed sound. This allows better control over system operating levels, thus increasing dynamic range while keeping noise to a minimum.

Other benefits include:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived