boss gt pro+marshall el34 100

• Members

has anyone used the boss gt pro. I'm thinking of pluging it in my el34 100 marshall trying to get a tight metal sound any ideas???

I've got a GT-Pro that I use...I don't use the preamp models in it though...just the effects. :o

If I were looking to get a tight metal sound into a power amp, I'd consider numerous other options before the GT-Pro.

Try a used Rocktron Pro G.A.P. It's a solid state analog preamp with MIDI. Into a tube preamp like the Marshall, it sounds great for metal and it's inexpensive enough that you can afford a decent effects unit.

Or just get a used Marshall JMP-1. :thu:

• Members

i use my gt-pro only for fx stuff.....tuner..and sometimes like a direct box. I run a Piranha on loop for distortion or a 5150II head(4cable conection). Gt-pro's preamp only for clean sound(jc120, fender twin....)

• Members

I considered upgrading from my gt6 to a pro so i did some extensive testing.

Decided the differences werent good enough to do so.

Now I only use the gt6 for practice into a solid state combo, HOWEVER it gets a pretty decent metal tone. The pro should do the same. Add a tube amp and a decent cab and it would be great. You really need to spend time tweaking though.

Oh and I prefer the tones and FX on the gt series OVER pods which have 64 amp models that all sound the same...

• Members

I "dumb it down" even a bit more than what you're suggesting, running a Boss ME-50 (distortion and effects, no amp models) into a Peavey Classic 50/50 tube power amp. I've used this live and was complimented on my tone by other musicians who were frankly quite surprised at the results with such a basic setup. I'd have to believe that the GT-Pro is capable of much more convincing tones that the ME-50, so that should work just fine.

• Members

Haven't used the Pro, but I did used to have a GT-8 (which sound wise is supposed to be the same as the Pro from what I recall) into a tube poweramp. IMO direct it was rubbish, but with the tube poweramp and cab it sounded pretty sweet.

A lot of the models and FX I found to be pretty useless, but I did get some good heavy metal tones from it. All the useless crap aside, there are some good sounds to be had between all the amp, OD and EQ options.

Archived