Rack Preamp/PowerAmp Advice

• Members

The Crate PowerBlock is a monster little amp.

I use two of them with my AxeFX rig when I don't want to lug my VHT 2/90/2 and they are awesome.

Just run your preamp into the FX return on the back and it's LOUD and weighs next to nothing.

On it's own, when you dime the gain of the PowerBlock, it's silly loud and has a pretty good old school AC/DC sorta tone.

I hope the Powerblock is loud enough when used in stereo.

I've read that 75 watts Solid-State is not very loud compared to a 75 watt valve amp.

• Members

75 watts of anything is too loud for most venues if turned up high. Hell, I run 2x60w, and I just about got the master volume control to 2, with my line-mixer less than half-way up, for an outside gig a couple of weeks ago. This isn't the 70s anymore, for any venue you play with more than about 100 people, you're gonna be micing up the amps anyway so you don't need a whole lot of volume live.

• Members

I hope the Powerblock is loud enough when used in stereo.

I've read that 75 watts Solid-State is not very loud compared to a 75 watt valve amp.

I've used it that way before and it is quite loud still, but actually, I use TWO Crate PowerBlocks, so I'm running my AxeFX at 300 watts.

• Members

For preamps, I have an upgraded 2112 to 2120 preamp and like it very much. effects may not be your thing but you can get a Digitech 2112 or 2120 pretty cheap these days and the tube distortion sounds pretty good. I also gig with a Rocktron voodoo valve. It was simply the best sounding preamp I tried. I tried the prophesy, the JMP1, and the triaxis and the voodoo valve just had the tone I wanted.

oh yah....plus, you can layer the tube and solid state distortions for huge tones. Though recently, I've gotten VERY good results using the Saturated Tube setting after replacing the JJ ECC83's w/ chinese 12AX7B 'Silver Dragons'. I also goose the output of the compressor a tad to give the pre-amp a slight boost. sounds big, thick, and clear, even w/ my Schecter C-7 Hellraiser tuned to A standard.

These badboys have a great pre-amp section, and almost as versatile as any modeler

• Members

I've used it that way before and it is quite loud still, but actually, I use TWO Crate PowerBlocks, so I'm running my AxeFX at 300 watts.

I just hope that a Crate Powerblock running at 75 watts solid-state, won't get drowned out by my MarkIV revving at 140 watts, since its poweramp puts out double wattage when driven hard.

Will it?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

if you still need a power amp i got a tubeworks provalve(not mosvalve) tube stereo power amp for sale. works perfect. pots could use some contact cleaner, but otherwise great condition. $365 paypalled and shipped in the US. i'd keep it, but i just got a mesa 50/50 so....pm me if youre interested. oh it uses 6l6's.

oh and as far as sonic maximizers.....i find em useful, but with minimum mix. well it depends really. my old 362 you needed to turn parameters higher than on my 482. on my 482 my bass is almost at 0 and the presence at around 9 o'clock. people can call it a turn polisher, but if it can polish a turd, then imagine what it could do for the {censored}.LOL.

Archived