First time with racks and midi

• Members

Hello there!!

I'm Alvaro from Chile and this is my first time writing in this forum, but I have some weeks reading.

I recently bought a Roland GP-100 and a Rocktron Intellifex (the original one). I also bought a Behringer FCB1010 (no ONE upgrade yet) to control both units.

I play since 20 years now (I'm 34 yo) but always with analog stompboxes. This is my first time trying to build a rack (its so addictive!!) and of course, my first time with MIDI.

So, my questions are:

1.-How can I connect the multieffects to my computer? I bought one of those cheap USB/MIDI cable (1 usb plug and 2 midi plug) and I tried everything to work with it. I always tried with 1 multieffect at a time, connecting 1 midi plug (IN or OUT) to the IN or OUT on the multieffect. I tried both MIDI plugs connected at the same time, and nothing. Of course I'm setting the multieffects units to recieve/send data asneeded, but it doesn't work! I'm thinking the problem is the cable. Any help with this? My idea is to edit patches in the PC and then send it to the Intellifex or GP-100. I'm using the Intellifex Editor for the Intellifex and a GP-100 SYSEX editor that is almost the only one that exist exclusive for the GP-100.

2.-What's the best way to build a rack? As I told you, I have just this 2 old units (Intellifex and GP-100) and I would like to learn more about what things helps to control them (I don't understand what the PatchMate Loop does) and what other units should I look for (not easy in Chile, but I could try to buy some international). How should I connect this 2 units? I have a DIY Vox AC30 made from a schematic from 1963.

Well, sorry my poor english and sorry for the big block.

Thanks and have fun!!!

• Members

Welcome Alvaro!

You need a MIDI to USB interface between your Multi-FX unit and computer. The interface will come with an installation CD so you can load drivers to facilitate communication between your MIDI devices and computer. The cable you have now will connect your computer to the interface, and you will need two other standard MIDI cables to connect your devices to the interface.

The GP-100 is a very versatile unit and has quite a few usable built-in effects. After experimenting with it a while, you may find you don't even need the Rocktron. I used to own one and ran it into a Mesa 20-20 stereo power amp, and then into a pair of 1x12 Mesa cabinets. It was a pretty simple rig, but I used it for three years and never felt a need to put anything else in my rack.

Good luck...

• Members

hey thanks for the answer :)

I think that the interface I have is one of those generic and cheap ones, with a USB cable comming from the interface and 2 midi (In and OUT) cable comming from the other side of the interface.

I was reading on different sites that the generic interface has a lot of driver problems, and I'm thinking that I lost the money and I will have to buy another one.

dibujomgxh.jpg

Is very interesting what do you say about the Intellifex. In fact, I was thinking on keeping the Intellifex and selling the GP100 to buy a tube preamp with nice distortions, like the Demeter TGP-1 (too expensive). Of course I could sell the Intellifex to keep the GP100, it's not a bad idea.

Archived