Ground Control & GCX Help

• Members

p_gcxbg.gif

Hey all. I want to use an Orange, a Marshall and a Vox with 4 different stomp boxes and one loop controlling the channel switching on the Orange. There has to be a way to do this with this setup. I have 3 separate cabinets so I don't need a head switcher.

So if I am thinking about this correctly, I am going to have to organize it like this.

Here is the basic layout; Loops 1 through 4 should have every in and out daisy chained starting from the buffered output (guitar out) and stomp boxes inserted via send/return. Loop 5 will just do the channel switching of the Orange. No ins or outs necessary on that one. Then the output of loop 4 should go to the input of Loop 6. Now here is where it gets fun.

Loop 6 will be an input to the Orange. Loop 7 will be the Marshall and Loop 8 will be the Vox. The output of each loop will be routed to the input of each amp specified for the loop.

So when no loop is selected except Loop 6 (Orange), Loops 1 through 4 are bypassed and it takes the signal from the guitar and sends it out down on the line until it hits Loop 6 which is the Orange. From there, we have 4 stomp boxes and one channel switch all working for the Orange with sound coming out of the Orange on either channel.

The Conundrum:

Since the output of loop 6 is being routed to the input of the Orange, the raw guitar signal has no way to get back to the input of Loop 7 which is the Marshall. Nor would it be able to get to Loop 8 of the Vox.

I think I need to get a Morely type switch that can take one input and split it to three outputs, buffered. Or maybe not buffered.

What is my fix for this situation? Or am I even thinking about this correctly?

Sorry for the long post. But hey, its rack building! :facepalm:

• Members

You've got the right idea. If you could get your hands on an Axess BS-2 or something similar you'll be good to go. Just run the Loop 4 Out to the splitter's In jack, and then run the splitter's output signals to the In jacks of Loops 6, 7, and 8.

You don't want to use the Out jacks for those loops to route your guitar signal to your amps, though. Use the Send loops instead. That way, when you turn the loop On, you'll send the signal to your amp so the amp will be On, whereas if you used the Out jacks, your amp would be on when the Loop is Off, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

• Members

You've got the right idea. If you could get your hands on an Axess BS-2 or something similar you'll be good to go. Just run the Loop 4 Out to the splitter's In jack, and then run the splitter's output signals to the In jacks of Loops 6, 7, and 8.

You don't want to use the Out jacks for those loops to route your guitar signal to your amps, though. Use the Send loops instead. That way, when you turn the loop On, you'll send the signal to your amp so the amp will be On, whereas if you used the Out jacks, your amp would be on when the Loop is Off, and vice versa.

Hope this helps.

Perfect. And your tip about the out jacks is right. I would have quickly figured that out! DOH!

• Members

Something else you might want to try is running your tuner in a loop. Run a cable from the Loop's Send jack to the Tuner In jack but don't run a cable From the Tuner Out back to the GCX. Bingo! Silent tuning.

Archived