lighting guys suck!!!

guitarnut1085

• Members

Originally posted by guitarnut1085

i played a show last sunday and every time i went into a solo the lighting guy either flashed the lights rapidly or shut the lights off completly. i hate you guys!!!
:mad::(

That was probably because they were working hard to distract the crowd from the fact that you were playing the solo in the wrong key ........ :o

:(

• Members

You get what you pay for!!!

Next time hire me!

But really, if you know someone with just a little lighting experience it can go a long way. If you a lighting person who knows your songs, than that will make all the difference in the world.

• Members

there are several problems with hiring someone from outside to do your show. first.. they probably don't know your music.. second.. they probably don't know alot about lighting either. i'd rather train somebody to do a show with my own system and have them run both lights and sound.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

you have a sound/light guy?? Thats amazing, what a multitasker! I dont know how complicated your show is (technically) but thats incredible. I've done both lights and sound before and doing 1 job consumes me completely. Many times i program the next effect or subroutine while one is running (the beauty of blind mode.) But either way thats good, i hope you pay him well.

• Members

i played a show last sunday and every time i went into a solo the lighting guy either flashed the lights rapidly or shut the lights off completly. i hate you guys!!!
:mad::(

Did he at least refund what you paid him. Or... you know? Apologize for not following your instructions?

• Members

Originally posted by klik

Did he at least refund what you paid him. Or... you know? Apologize for not following your instructions?

we didnt have much choice cause he was hired by the club. and we were so irriteted we just packed our stuff up and left after the show. we videotaped the show and it was the worst mix i have ever heard (the same guy running the lights ran the sound).

• Members

A cover band I used to be in opened a show with "Surrender" by Cheap Trick. We started lik the live version. Bass drum twice...boom boom....then the opening snare riff. I told tyhe light guy EXACTLY how we were gonna start it, and I wanted the lights to open right when we hit the first chord. Well needless to say he missed his mark. Jagloader.:mad:

• Members

Originally posted by sydfan

A cover band I used to be in opened a show with "Surrender" by Cheap Trick. We started lik the live version. Bass drum twice...boom boom....then the opening snare riff. I told tyhe light guy EXACTLY how we were gonna start it, and I wanted the lights to open right when we hit the first chord. Well needless to say he missed his mark. Jagloader.
:mad:

so... do you find it hard to play when the light guy keeps turning the lights off? how do you deal with it?

• Members

so... do you find it hard to play when the light guy keeps turning the lights off? how do you deal with it?

You hope one day you get large enough to be able to afford a proper lighting designer...

• Members

when i put the show together i tried to make it controlable from the stage via footswitches. it takes a bit longer to set up and is a bit harder to operate than i anticipated.. so it would be nice to train someone to do the show. our bass player used to take care of the lights while i ran pa. i used to change gels between sets to give the show a different look for each set. i do agree that running a show is alot of work.. lots of things to remember and trying to run the show and play at the same time can leave you with gaps and faux paux's.. so it's not entirely seemless either.. but it's ALOT better than having nothing but chase pars running the whole night.

• Members

Originally posted by 1big1

when i put the show together i tried to make it controlable from the stage via footswitches. it takes a bit longer to set up and is a bit harder to operate than i anticipated.. so it would be nice to train someone to do the show. our bass player used to take care of the lights while i ran pa. i used to change gels between sets to give the show a different look for each set. i do agree that running a show is alot of work.. lots of things to remember and trying to run the show and play at the same time can leave you with gaps and faux paux's.. so it's not entirely seemless either.. but it's ALOT better than having nothing but chase pars running the whole night.

It's good to hear from people that make an effort. I just did a gig in London with a wellish known pop star. The presets on the desk for stage scenes were blank when the show started.. The first song was 'completely dark'. Nobody (other than the promoter) seemed bothered at all.. :D

• Members

we didnt have much choice cause he was hired by the club. and we were so irriteted we just packed our stuff up and left after the show. we videotaped the show and it was the worst mix i have ever heard (the same guy running the lights ran the sound).

Well....there ya go .... stupid of you to even play the show .... :rolleyes:

• Members

i like to take a look at the material in the set and figure out what colors or specials work well with certain material. i do have to compromise some of the things i'd like to do in order to simplify things.

my basic theory about putting shows together for clubs revolves around keeping things interesting for the audience. if you have a number of different "specials" you can rotate them in and out according to thier duty cycles. it's not like theatrical lighting where you have to concern yourself with setting up "specials" for a particular scene.. or to highlight a certain stage area.. though sometimes you do.. but the stuff i do in clubs is a far cry from theatrical lighting.

once i've decided on a general scheme for a set i'll sit down and write cues for each song and catalog them so the show has consistancy. if something doesn't "look" right i can always make adjustments.

Archived