noobie lighting questions

laidback

• Members

1. I have a couple of scoops with no gel frames. I'd like to be able to use gels with them for a colored wash on the stage sides. Any thoughts on how to attach them, and a source for big gels? I'm running the scoops at pretty low wattage and the shells don't get very warm.

2. Is there any good way to get some haze/fog/smoke outdoors; just enough for the lighting to work?

• Members

Any theatrical store should be able to provide you whatever size gel you need. You've got two options for mounting it -- you could either rivet small pieces of aluminum to the sides and bend them over like a standard gel frame, or you can do what I did: go get some heat resistant tape (usually a very reflective silver in color) and just tape 'em to the sides. Mine was similar in consistency to duct tape. Hell, maybe it was, I don't know. If you're going to do this, make sure to get a large enough gel that it's not pressed flat against the light... give it a bit of an arc so that some of the heat can get out. As well, someone here mentioned a good idea of poking a few tiny holes in the gel to allow more heat to release.

If you're going to do this, make sure you test it out before a show; leave it on for twice as long as it'll be on at a show to make sure you don't see the gel start to melt. If it's a really powerful light, get a good gel sheet, because it'll just fade quickly if you don't.

As for the fog -- time for a bigger fogger!! If there's no roof on the stage, there's probably not a whole lot you'll be able to do. If there is, I've had better results by putting the fogger on the ground as opposed to in the trussing, and angling it up a tiny bit (or putting a piece of cardboard angled up a bit in front of the nozzle). A hazer will probably work better. You'll have to start running it well in advance of the show, but it shouldn't be too bad. Just make sure it's getting up in the air, or the performers will be stuck in a cloud.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

As well, someone here mentioned a good idea of poking a few tiny holes in the gel to allow more heat to release.

You don't often here that recommendation. I don't think it was me that mentioned it either.

It is however a ligitimate way of keep gels cool under extremely hot conditions.

Good tip.. ;)

• Members

I screwed small clamps onto the outside of my light cans, one on top and one on the bottom. Then I can clip the gel sheet on with just a bit of a curve to let the heat out. Makes it really easy to change gels..can even do it one-handed with a little practice.

• Members

1. I have a couple of scoops with no gel frames. I'd like to be able to use gels with them for a colored wash on the stage sides. Any thoughts on how to attach them, and a source for big gels? I'm running the scoops at pretty low wattage and the shells don't get very warm.

gaf tape it right to the edge, it will work, you don't necessarily need frames, they are just nice to have so things don't get sticky... as far as a source, go through a supplier... roscoe, gam and lee websites all have distributors listed, gel comes in fairly large sheets from these guys, and it will be cheaper than your local music store who also buys from the distributor, unless they are one themselves...

2. Is there any good way to get some haze/fog/smoke outdoors; just enough for the lighting to work?

if you get lucky and its a still night, with no wind, and you have a LOT of haze juice it can work, though not well.

This is a question that many people have tired to figure out, but to no avail. even at medium sized outdoor ampitheatres with 18 (yes 18) hazers, the LD from nickleback gave up after the 3rd show becuase it just wasnt enough...

haze and fog work best indoors...

Archived