Small party/cover band needs help with lighting

• Members

I play in one of the most popular cb's in the area... but that is not saying much. Most venues are bars, clubs, resturarunts where you supply the PA and lights. Our PA is full range and runs plenty of power 3000 watts, even for outdoor events. At our shows we get anywhere fro 100 to 300 people in attendence and we need some serious help with our lighting. Of course I'm concerned with three seperate things

#1- Cost... we have a limited budget (maybe $400-500).

#2 Power- Most places we run only on two seperate circuits. Alot of time we make through a gig and I'm surprised we didn't blow a breaker.

#3 Ease of setup.-Because we are setting up our own stage area for each gig, something simple would suffice.

So some simple DJ appliances might do the trick.

Right now we have 4 par 56's (mounted on flat boards for placement). Two spinning American DJ round spinner lamps. That's it.... sad I know. I was thinking of spending all the $ on one piece a Chauvet Mini Color wash and just positioning that behind our drummer into the crowd but I'm not sure if that's a good investment.

• Members

A bunch of small lights will always get more attention than one big one! You also have to keep in mind that most lights have a duty cycle, so you can't just leave one big one on for the whole show or anything.

The only problem you're going to run into is the power one. Two circuits, and you're already running 3kW... that leaves you a kilowatt for lights. That's a pair of Par 64s at best! Personally, I'd consider getting rid of the 56s and going with 38s... you could run eight 38s at 150W without using much power, and that'd give you a wash from each side of the stage.

If you're looking for something that moves, Chauvet has plenty of cheap options. Just remember that if you start talking about DMX fixtures you'll need DMX dimmers, a DMX programmable board, cabling, etc... it gets pretty expensive!

I guess the main question is.. are you looking for effects lighting, or something to see the band better?

• Members

More fx lighting. I think we have plenty of light. Who cares what we look like. We're never playing on a stage anyway. Many times the only seperation between the crowd and us is the invisable line set by the PA.

For instance this pic is taken from directly in front of the drum kit.

PICT0021.JPG

frontst13.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

Since it's such an intimate setting and we can always just reach out and touch the crowd I think we need more "wow" factor. We have a guy that helps sets up our sound and lights. It would be nice to put him to work, rather than just a pair of swirly DJ lamps activated by sound doing their thing.

• Members

Originally posted by wheresgrant3

More fx lighting. I think we have plenty of light. Who cares what we look like. We're never playing on a stage anyway. Many times the only seperation between the crowd and us is the invisable line set by the PA.

For instance this pic is taken from directly in front of the drum kit.

PICT0021.JPG

frontst13.JPG

PICT0035.JPG

Since it's such an intimate setting and we can always just reach out and touch the crowd I think we need more "wow" factor. We have a guy that helps sets up our sound and lights. It would be nice to put him to work, rather than just a pair of swirly DJ lamps activated by sound doing their thing.

Nothing wrong with the idea of a white backdrop lit with a bunch of pretty patterns. It's hard to tell the situation from your photo's as there is camera flash.

Think about painting the walls with lights. A couple of pattern projectors across the walls can work well.

It's always tricky to know what to do first in a small space. A lit backdrop, band and audience (for dancing) isn't such a hard task though. You just need enough lights for the job..!

• Members

You obviously have a great rocking band, judging by the enjoyment on the dancer's faces (Dig the chick with the pink hat). I wouldn't worry so much about a light show per se, just make sure you have enough that the audience can see you on stage and maybe some swirling stuff on the dance floor to provoke wild gyrations.

Archived