ColorSplash 196 Question for BillESC

TimmyP

• Members

I see that there are several rings of each color, each on its own DMX channel. Please explain (from your experience) how this improves color and luminance control vs. having only one channel for each of the three colors, as I'd think that having all of the reds on dimly would give the same contribution to a color as having one ring on brightly. Thanks.

• Members

I'm not the one you ask for but I paste in my comments on this lamp from another thread anyway....

I have tried the Chauvet PAR 196, or SDL-196/SRL-6005 as Neo-Neon calls it. http://led.neo-neon.com/soft/74.htm

(Be aware that the technical specification on that side is wrong. It should say 20W / 1,4kg !!!)

I have tried to compare them to 300W PAR56. My conclusion is that you need 4-6 LED-PARs to get the same intensity in the light as 1 (one) 300W conventional light ! I write 4-6 because they spread the light very different. The LED-lights doesn't seem to have any 'cone' - that makes them very fine to evenly light a backdrop but it better be a white one....

The mix of R+G+B is by the way NOT white. You would not show your face in this light because you look dead. This means you have to dim some leds to get an useful color and you loose even more intensity......

I measure a 10W consumption when the LEDs are dark and about 20W when all are on. That explains why you can't match the 300W. I have heard that LED's can give 10 times more light pr watt so that means you need at least 3pcs. These lamps seems less efficient than that !

The lamps have 7 rings with different colors. I would like to have a word with the guy that came up with that idea !

Obiously they think that you want to look INTO the lamp when used. Then you can get the rings to light up seperatly and make patterns. NB! This is only useful if you look INTO the lamp. For all other purposes it would be better to just distribute the different colors over the hole front in groups of 3 or something.

You see, the problem is that you can se the rings if you have the lamps close to a wall. If you mix red and green to get yellow you get a yellow center with a red ring around it.

Another stupid thing about this is that you need 7 DMX channels just to get normal RGB-mixing. 3 would have been enough and many others use just 3 - and maybe some more for special effects.

My last concern is that when I tried to videotape a show with these LEDs I got extreme flickering on the tape when the LEDs where dimmed. On full intensity everything looked fine though.

(I'm using PAL-video system but I guess NTSC could have the same problem)

It's not all bad :

- They are so quick that you could use them as strobe

- When used as effect light they will work quite well because if you have say 20 of these and they can all change color you would need 4PARs multiplied with the number of colors you want.

- If you have a lightmixer that can handle 7x20 channels you could really have some fun and program a lot of cool stuff !

I really like the LED-concept and the idea of RGB-mixing and seperate control of each lamp is appealing. I think many of you would find the cheapest models disapointing though.

Prohias

Archived