Playing in the Dark...

ned911

• Members

We are booked at a venue that has very poor lighting. Basically a deck on a lake covered by a tent. They have a couple of the large aluminum lights with the clip attached to the tent, some are blue some are red. Thought this would be the time to start building our lighting rig.

Band is your basic rock/top40 cover band with 3 vocals, guitar, bass and drums.

Right now we just need to get a basic stage wash and something that will grow as the rig expands. Am thinking a pair of CS196 or 200B's on each side controlled by a DMX 55 and maybe a Vue I (or maybe 2 of them) for the dance floor.

Now the trick is how to mount the lights. Our speakers only weigh 48lbs so can we add a side bar to our stands and mount the 2 lights on each side? Would a single tree in the back be more appropriate. The stage is small BTW.

• Members

You would want something in front to start with. The CS196s are good but the Intimidator Colors might be better to start. You can get by with just 1 on each side and they will blow away the CS196s. As you add to the system the LEDs are great but you will need a bunch to light the stage. The Intimidator Colors have great saturation and give off a lot of light. My band uses 10 CS196s and 4 Intimidator Colors right now. You should be able to mount the lights on the speakers but since there is a tent (probably a bit too low) you can also put the lights on the floor pointing up.

• Members

You should be able to mount the lights on the speakers but since there is a tent (probably a bit too low) you can also put the lights on the floor pointing up.

I have M10 fly points on the top of my powered mains (many speakers do) and mount lights to the top of the speaker in this manner. As long as you can get the mains a bit in front of the band, it works just fine.

Archived