how many Par 38s can you run?

wvuviv30

• Members

Well, the general rule of approximation I've always used is 100w = 1 amp. That's not precise but close enough for me. Since all the 38's won't be full blast at the same time(I'm guessing) then you should be fine with 20 of them if you need that many.

• Members

I'll guess you have 150s. You should be able to run 16 of them on a good 20A circuit. Of course they won't all be on all the time, but then the dimmers aren't 100% efficient. I'd likely not run more than a dozen.

However, I would not count on 20 amp circuits. On 15A it would be 12 on paper, but I'd cut it to 8 or 9.

• Members

Keep in mind you're probably on the same circuit as the neon lights and the refrigerator. If you think you are gonna blow a breaker, find out what else is on the circuit, or make sure you use your maximum draw BEFORE the show starts to test it.

I've got a Furman PM-8 with an ammeter. It might not be perfect but it allows me to keep an eye on power levels when I'm programming lights.

• Members

He's wrong, assuming you're in the US, and you should get a better electrician. Amps = Watts / Volts, simple as that. US standard voltage is 110V. Two 500W bulbs at 110V = 1000 / 110 = 9.09 volts at full blast, plus any additional power the fixture itself is wasting (probably negligible).

Archived