Looking For a One Light Stand

Nooch

• Members

Hey Gang!

Most places where I do lighting already have some basic house lights but I am starting to get more shows where I am expected to provide all the lights. I have the back lights pretty well covered but now I am having trouble lighting the bands from the front.

I have two colorsplash 200b's which I love but they usually end up on the floor in the front corners of the stage or at best sitting on some of my road cases. I'd love to get two more 200b's and mount them all on two trees at the front of the stage but on most smaller stages there just isn't enough room for two more light stands and I just don't trust putting stands out in the audience.

So I was wondering, is there anything with a weighted base, kinda like a mic stand, with an adjustable height that could be used to mount a single par can?

I think having the ability to put a light anywhere on stage, at any height, without taking up all the space of a tripod would be a very nice thing have.

Nooch

• Members

So I was wondering, is there anything with a weighted base, kinda like a mic stand, with an adjustable height that could be used to mount a single par can?

...like a mic stand? ;)

If a regular mic stand won't go high enough, a weighted low-profile one (like what you might use for a bass drum) sitting on top of the PA seems like it'd do the trick. The 200B is light enough that you could probably velcro it to the top of the PA if you could get the angle right. Hell, a 1'x1' piece of spraypainted plywood with a dowel sticking up would make a good stand-on-top-of-a-PA-cabinet.

• Members

You could use the pipe and base that's used at conventions and trade shows to hold the curtains that separate the booths.

The bases are 15" square and the uprights can be adjustable from 6 to 8 feet or 8 to 14 feet. Clamping a couple 200B's would be no problem at all.

Booth.jpg

• Members

Would a mic stand really work? To be honest I have never really taken the time to examine one. I suppose if there is a way to bolt something to the top of it then a mic stand would work fine. I'll have to really look at one tonight.

I like Bill's suggestion (as usual). I especially like that I would be able to clamp more than one light to the pipe. Where would I be able to find something like that locally? I found Crown's website but it's pretty expensive to ship. Are there stores that sell stuff like that?

Nooch

• Members

Uses mic stands with a raxxess accesory riser attached on top for each of my lasers. Velcro on the raxxess and bottom of laser for easy secure attachment and easy take down. For the larger lasers uses ultimates tripod stands, for the small geometrics uses those are ultimates round base stands. The latter doesnt provide as stable a platform for the larger ones though.

• Members

I had considered using a cup (like the ones used on the bottom of speakers so that they can sit on poles) mounted on the top of our mid/high cabs of our FOH speakers. I could then use a pole out front of our band to mount lights to. We have the same problem getting something out front of the band to illuminate the front of the stage. They sell those cups at guitar center and they look pretty professional.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Got another show coming up this weekend where there is no front lighting so I finally got off my butt and made some light stands.

Went down to Home Depot and bought 4 4 foot 1/2 inch pipes with connectors and 2 flanges.

I was a little nervous going into the lumber section since I am not real good with power tools but I ended up finding these 2'x2' pieces of "dricore" which I guess are intended to fit together for basement floors. Probably paid a little more for them but I didn't have to saw anything and they are almost the perfect size so what the heck.

I screwed the flange into the wood, connected the pipes to the board, and clamped my lights on to the pipe. Now I have 2 new 8 foot light stands for the front of the stage which cost me about $50 all together.

Nooch

stand6.jpg

stand5.jpg

• Members

Looks like OSB on the top of that panel. Just make sure you get a finish of some sort on it as OSB will disentigrate with moisture. Probably need something pretty tough since it will be stepped on. ( Bedliner?) Figure the bottom is OK judging by what this stuff is designed to be used for.

Archived