sound sensitive LED lights...

• Members

www.acousticlights.com

They clip on to the rims of the drums and point up at the bottom head, lighting up the top head when the drum is hit. They've got a sensitivity knob on 'em so you can set them up to match your playing. Not that expensive and a REALLY cool effect on stage, especially during a drum solo or if you use haze. Use a frosted-type drum head (such as Evans EC1 or EC2) and they light up even better.

Here's a picture of a single red one in the bass drum at one of our gigs; I'm using a white Remo Fiberskyn head, and you can see how it shines through. It's from MySpace so hopefully the image will show up:

l_af1b4e92596f839692609fc7b71e6311.jpg

• Members

Its quite easy if you know your way around electronics and micro-controllers.

A couple of basic options - the very simple one - analog filters driving a driver cicuit - the most basic sound to light there is.

Next up, derive a trigger from the filter outputs and use that to triggger or gate some other logic - for eg sequence chases etc.

That basically how it was done 20+ years ago, except we all used triacs to control mains lighting.

These days - either use analog filters to drive triggers that are monitored by a microprocesor and used to drive chases etc, or if you have a more powerful microcontroller and a ADC, simply sample the audio and FFT it to derive the beat, frequency bands etc from it.

Or skip all that, use your microcontroller to simply handle the DMX protocol and drive to your LED matrix, and do all the cpu heavy work on you computer via a USB->DMX interface.

Commerical DMX LEDs fixtures tend to be based upon anything from 1 to 3, 8 bit microcontrollers driving a resistive or PWM matrix to drive the LEDs - apparently its cheaper and easier to have a bunch of different little controllers each pre-programmed to do a single little bit of the job, for eg, dealing with DMX, sequencing the lights/motors etc, dealing with any buttons, menus displays etc. Many are suprisingly old-school in terms of the electronics used inside them.

BTW - if you hunt around, you can sometimes find the newer 10mm higher power LEDs at quite decent prices. the really big 1W+ LEDs that are starting to be used in the best LED fixtures still seem to be near impossible to buy unpackagged.

• Members

BTW - if you hunt around, you can sometimes find the newer 10mm higher power LEDs at quite decent prices. the really big 1W+ LEDs that are starting to be used in the best LED fixtures still seem to be near impossible to buy unpackagged.

Actually they are available through many sources.

www.luxeonstar.com in canada

Or go to the www.luxeon.com and buy from Future electronics the shopping cart brings you there when you click it.

The Acoustic lights use the 3 watt Luxeon LED's now. Zeromus-X has the older 1 watt version he is testing.

Has anyone seen the writeup in modern drummer April edition? That's not me playing , it's a friend of mine. I was taking the pictures.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

The units themselves are pretty tiny, I don't see why it wouldn't. Our singer uses a Vox Valvetronix amp -- if the grille on that is spaced out about as far as it is on the AC30, I can check and see what it would look like using his.

metron9, just to let you know, I haven't had a problem with any of them yet. The "put a dot of epoxy on them" trick worked perfect apparently. I still haven't tried internally mounting them -- I keep meaning to and then never get around to it.

• Members

Ahh Zeromus so you are still punishing them putting them directly on the beater side of the bass drum. That is a good test, nice to hear they are still performing well. So when are you going to order some of the new 3 watt models?:)

• Members

Nah, I have the light inside the bass drum, sitting on a blanket, pointed at the front. I use two of them for the kick drum now to give better coverage. Many shows I don't use the tom ones, just the kick, and turn the toms on for drum solos/etc.

I'm still looking forward to getting at least one of the 3W ones for the kick, mostly just been a money thing! My engine in my car blew up and I had to drop $2500 on a new one... which on my {censored}ty pay, is what I refer to as a "major problem". ;)

Archived