Upgrade under $300

kmok86

• Members

Hi all,

I'm looking for an upgrade to the lighting rig for my band.

We usually play in small clubs/bars that already has in-house lights to light the stage. Currently, I use 4 Chauvet Colosplash Jr. on a stand behind the drummer as eye candy and program scenes to emphasize different sections of the songs.

I'm currently considering between the Chauvet Colorstrip or the ADJ starball LED as they are both under $300.

The colorstip seems to be very popular around here but the starball seems to work well for our ballads.

Another consideration is that we don't use haze/fog for most of our shows.

Which one would you recommend and why?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

• Members

Colorstrip reason being, they do a fairly decent as a wash as where your star ball is more of a FX type of lighting and won't give you much of a wash IMO. I seen a ebay store have a few left for 189$ new in the box, factory sealed with 1 year factory warranty. Might snag one up before their all gone they sell pretty quick from that ebay store. FWIW I bought 3 of them myself from the ebay store.

• Members

IF you can swing it up to $340, go with two Chauvet Colorpalettes. Definitely worth it at $170/ea. Great fixtures, powerful for their size. They store well in padded laptop sleeves - no need to buy special cases.

Also, I think that the starball isn't nearly as good of an effect without haze - the Colorpalette excels in hazeless environments because of the built-in effects that it has by dividing up the surface in to eight squares.

• Members

Thanks for the advise everyone.

Colorpalettes do seem to be useful. Especially for the fact that it fits in laptop cases. Not a big fan of the panels effect thing though. Seems more like a visual distraction than luminating the band but i guess that's what it's meant for. Where do u get these for $170 each? All the online stores list them as $220 and up here in Canada, the chance for a low price is slimer than slim.

• Members

Someone's gotta ship internationally around here! Shoot HC users BillESC and DJS Biff emails/PMs and see what they can do for you in terms of price and international shipping.

Panel fixtures do well when they're higher up shining down on the band. So the higher you get your stand, the better. They've also got a fairly wide beam angle (30 degrees or so), so you'll be able to cover a large are of the band. When you don't want them to be distracting, they can just be a single color washing the band, but when you use the built-in effects, they really shine.

Archived