First show need advice

mike510

• Members

Hi everyone so I just did my first lighting show it went better than I expected I thought something would go horribly wrong, lucky it went smooth. So I need some advice I want to know how well I did and what I need to improve on. As you will notice the front to members of the band are not lit very well this is because the stage was very small and my two T-bars were behind them...does anyone have any ideas of how to light them better?

[video=youtube;5AjqVK-Buhg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5AjqVK-Buhg

• Members

I hate to be Captain Obvious but, put lights in front of them...

A couple of RGBA pucks, or incandescent pars with amber gels either on poles or mounted on front speakers should work.

BTW back lights look great. What controller are you using?

• Members

I hate to be Captain Obvious but, put lights in front of them...

A couple of RGBA pucks, or incandescent pars with amber gels either on poles or mounted on front speakers should work.

BTW back lights look great. What controller are you using?

I agree with this.

Other than that pretty good.. Well done..

Regards. Timmer

• Members

Thanks guys I'm using 2 blizzard Polaris and 2 adj revo rolls and I'm controlling it with a magic 260. I know I needed to put the lights upfront but the problem was the stage was so small that everything including the speakers had to be behind the performers. We will probably be returning to this venue otherwise I wouldn't bother with this problem. I was thinking about buying another tbar and putting it to the right of the stage against the wall but I'm not sure if the angle of the lights will light the performers well does anyone know which light will do the job?

• Members

If you go with the Puck RGBA, you can get the nice amber hues for lighting flesh tones. In addition, you can do any color for front to match up, or contrast, your back lights.

BTW main speakers in the back? How bad was feedback?

• Members

We did not have any problem with feedback, at least none that was noticeable to anyone. I am using the pucks rgba for the back lighting and I love them the only problem is they are not strong enough for the front, is there any other light similar to the Puck rgba that is brighter?

• Members

This is the problem I have with LED lights. They're just plain not bright enough unless you have a bunch of them. Dont believe me? Get a 7 led flashlight (needs 3AAA batteries to run it) and a regular flashlight that uses 2 D or C cells and turn them both on in a darkened room. I'll bet that the flashlight does alot better job at lighting it up.

Yes the LED lights are greener and use alot less power and are more versatile but nothing lights the stage like some Pars with 300, 500 or 1000 watt bulbs in them.

But you'll still have the problem of everything having to be behind you, and I don't have a cure for that, unless they have some bars hung from the ceiling to support something for lights.

• Members

You might want to look into Puck 3s - they are massively brighter than the RGB or RGBA pucks and not too much more expensive from the right dealers. You could mount them on straight mic stands using the correct adapters and place them slightly in front and to the sides of you guys aiming in at eye level or so. You can also try to track down some compact photo light stands that may go a little higher up so you can aim them down a bit.

GOOD LED lights will do a great job lighting up a stage, but comparing them to conventionals is apples to oranges. They both have their strengths and weaknesses. I really like that I can run my whole 40+ fixture rig on one 15A standard outlet all night long with no heat baking the musicians. Wouldn't dream of running that big of a conventional PAR rig in the little clubs we play, so it works for us. As always, YMMV!

Archived