DIY Tube/Columns - LED fixture + Sheet Plastic Material + 5 gal. Bucket?

• Members

Hi all -

Someone described seeing a band that had black 5 gal. buckets with LED cans in the bottom (and probably a bag of sand) with some lightweight plastic sheet material rolled and stuffed into the bucket to form a column.

Apparently the plastic was the right opacity to make a cool tube of color effect. Has anyone here tried this? I'm looking for advice on what materials work best, photos would be most excellent, too.

Thanks!

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Got it figured out. I'll be making my columns from 4'x8' material called "coroplast." Think of the stuff political yard signs are made of - 4mm thick with vertical cells that run the length of the sheet so one side can be scored and it just folds on itself really nicely. I got sheets of the color "Natural Translucent" for $22 each. Everything breaks down to flat. My friend built some bases from 2x4 and plywood that sit inside the pillar. The bases have a center hold drilled so I can mount the yoke of my fixture inside. Also some well-placed holes for running the cabling. I'll get some wood screws with big plastic washers to hold the bottom of the coroplast to the base.

These aren't mine, but it gives you the idea:

http://www.churchstagedesignideas.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/DS7_7952.jpg

• Members

This pillar idea was lifted from http://www.churchstagedesignideas.com/ which actually has tons of good low-tech design ideas and healthy "how I did it" discussions under each submission. Not a church guy myself, but you gotta admire the creativity! The bases were my friend's concept.

Quick test run last night, before having the bases to hold it square. I just used two pieces of packing tape to keep the box in shape

2012-07-29_17-47-03_632.jpg

This is the corner, bent at 90 degrees. I made a slit through the first layer of plastic down the center of one of the cells, setting my cutter to depth so I didn't slice all the way through. You can see how it bends and splits open in that spot. Seems like it will be pretty tough and stand up to lots of flattening and re-bending. If you have a "For Sale" sign or old political sign, practice on it.

2012-07-30_12-38-53_305.jpg

Here are the bases. Thinking I should have had the hole for cabling cut closer to the center so the DMX connectors are not flexed when I have the can pointing straight up. The fixture is an older Wiedamark Par 64

2012-07-30_12-37-32_401.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Now this idea is really sparking ideas. I like how it throws the diamonds on the wall behind. That's fun stuff right there.

My friend's band has simple 4-light RGB LED cans on a programmer, with foot controller. It could be taken off the light stand, and used inside these pillars so easily.

GOING SHOPPING!!!

Archived