Amber/WW LED cans similar to PAR cans?

• Members

I'm looking for some LED cans that have a warm white/amber light similar to a halogen PAR can. The only thing I could find with a quick look would be
but those have no DMX control IIRC (kinda depressing). Anyone have any suggestions?

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?2929724-Chauvet-Color-Dash-Accent-VWs-work-great

• Members

I wonder how those would do for an "always on" front lighting solution. They aren't DMX obviously, but you can get 4 of the warm white LED cans shipped for $127 after some promo codes. I wonder if two on a side would be able to light performers on a small "bar-type" stage. I was thinking about picking up a couple sets of Par38s for some front lighting, but by the time I spent 60 dollars on four standard cans, and then replaced the bulbs and get some gels I'd be close to 100 dollars. With these I wouldn't have to worry as much about bulbs, and letting them cool after sets, and the heat during the show. Which would you guys go for if you didn't need DMX... these LED the OP is looking at, Par36s, or stick with my 2 200b's on each side set to white?

I had never seen that site before.. thanks.

• Members

I wonder how those would do for an "always on" front lighting solution. They aren't DMX obviously, but you can get 4 of the warm white LED cans shipped for $127 after some promo codes. I wonder if two on a side would be able to light performers on a small "bar-type" stage. I was thinking about picking up a couple sets of Par38s for some front lighting, but by the time I spent 60 dollars on four standard cans, and then replaced the bulbs and get some gels I'd be close to 100 dollars. With these I wouldn't have to worry as much about bulbs, and letting them cool after sets, and the heat during the show. Which would you guys go for if you didn't need DMX... these LED the OP is looking at, Par36s, or stick with my 2 200b's on each side set to white?

I had never seen that site before.. thanks.

I may pick up a few for something like that. I was thinking about giving them a go on a dimmer pack, just to see if they dim (Yes, I know crazy idea, but who knows, it may just work, lol). But those Chauvet lights in the topic above look great as well, so I don't know. Lol

• Members

LEDs do not like dimmers. But I do wonder if they'd respond fast enough to be able to be used simply for on/off...

If I get a chance to order a pair, I'll let you know. Even though I know they don't like dimmers, the 12v LED bulbs i have in my truck for my gauge cluster don't dim a whole lot, but they do shut off after a certain point, but even if it gives you some dimming capabilites, that'd be nice. Who knows, lol

• Members

There are dimmers designed for LED fixtures but the LED fixtures have to be designed for dimmers. I'd wager that these are not, but anyone willing to put their $35 at risk, go right ahead. If they do work, that'd be awesome!

MCM electronics is a great site for all sorts of random things, but remember that with lighting you get what you pay for. I think they got introduced here when I linked these awesome clamps. I get cables and adapters and such from them, and their sale flyers are quite good. I might have to try one of these white-only LED cans just to see what they've got for output and color temp.

• Members

There are dimmers designed for LED fixtures but the LED fixtures have to be designed for dimmers. I'd wager that these are not, but anyone willing to put their $35 at risk, go right ahead. If they do work, that'd be awesome!

MCM electronics is a great site for all sorts of random things, but remember that with lighting you get what you pay for. I think they got introduced here when I linked
. I get cables and adapters and such from them, and their sale flyers are quite good. I might have to try one of these white-only LED cans just to see what they've got for output and color temp.

My buddy is a dealer through them, and he has 8 of the Par 56 LED cans. They're nice cans for the price, great for smaller stuff. If anything, I'll get the Warm White cans and use them for small acoustic gigs..

• Members

4 of the warm whites are on their way to my house. I will report back and let you know how they are. They are having a 5 dollar shipping special so that made me jump on them, plus there are codes to get them down to 27.50 a piece.

• Members

4 of the warm whites are on their way to my house. I will report back and let you know how they are. They are having a 5 dollar shipping special so that made me jump on them, plus there are codes to get them down to 27.50 a piece.

Did you get them yet? I'm patiently waiting as to whether or not I'll get a couple. :)

• Members

They look pretty good. I won't know how well they will work until I get them up on the T stands though. They put out a decent amount of light and are better quality than I expected. The added pigtail is nice too so you can chain them together. I would go with the warm white for sure though, they are pretty bright for their size.

• Members

We put these guys on the stands the other night and they worked great! So much classier looking with front lighting going on that isn't bright white. I still look like I need a tan, but at least now that's natural. ;) I was worried about them not being bright enough, or being too bright, but they are about right for the small stages we play. I put two pointed at the drums and one on the bassist and one on myself (3 piece). They have pigtails on them for easy daisy chaining of power by the way, so that is a little less cable to worry about straightening up.

We had been taking a back truss and mounting all our lights on it, but after getting these we came up with a better look that will let us set up on tiny stages and be a lot lighter moving around. We're going to start with 4 of these cans for front lighting up on lightweight T stands (Did I mention how small and light these things are?), ditch the truss and do all uplighting. Two Colorstrips chained together behind the drumkit pointing up behind us, and then two chained 200bs, one behind my amp and one behind the bassists amp on opposite sides of the stage. We're probably just going to set them up to do a slow fade from color to color but may eventually feel the urge to break out the DMX.

For light use on small stages and for the price...these get two thumbs up. They probably aren't built like tanks, they are one setting, and they aren't DMX, but for around 30 bucks a pop I don't think you can go wrong.

• Members

If I get a chance to order a pair, I'll let you know. Even though I know they don't like dimmers, the 12v LED bulbs i have in my truck for my gauge cluster don't dim a whole lot, but they do shut off after a certain point, but even if it gives you some dimming capabilites, that'd be nice. Who knows, lol

In your gauge cluster the old incandescent bulbs worked off of 0-14 volts for the dimming control.

LEDs have a different power set-up, on a 12v LED bulb, the LED will need around 9v trigger the element; and then the bulb is only dimmerable between 6-12v.

• Members

We put these guys on the stands the other night and they worked great! So much classier looking with front lighting going on that isn't bright white. I still look like I need a tan, but at least now that's natural.
;)
I was worried about them not being bright enough, or being too bright, but they are about right for the small stages we play. I put two pointed at the drums and one on the bassist and one on myself (3 piece). They have pigtails on them for easy daisy chaining of power by the way, so that is a little less cable to worry about straightening up.

We had been taking a back truss and mounting all our lights on it, but after getting these we came up with a better look that will let us set up on tiny stages and be a lot lighter moving around. We're going to start with 4 of these cans for front lighting up on lightweight T stands (Did I mention how small and light these things are?), ditch the truss and do all uplighting. Two Colorstrips chained together behind the drumkit pointing up behind us, and then two chained 200bs, one behind my amp and one behind the bassists amp on opposite sides of the stage. We're probably just going to set them up to do a slow fade from color to color but may eventually feel the urge to break out the DMX.

For light use on small stages and for the price...these get two thumbs up. They probably aren't built like tanks, they are one setting, and they aren't DMX, but for around 30 bucks a pop I don't think you can go wrong.

Thanks for the report back man! I may pick up a few then. These, and some Luminlights cans for color wash would work great. Would you be able to hook them to a DMX dimmer pack and see if they would have any luck dimming at least part way? I would appreciate it if you could man!

• Members

Thanks Man! Your review answered all the concerns that I had! I just ordered 2! Whoo Hoo!

We put these guys on the stands the other night and they worked great! So much classier looking with front lighting going on that isn't bright white. I still look like I need a tan, but at least now that's natural.
;)
I was worried about them not being bright enough, or being too bright, but they are about right for the small stages we play. I put two pointed at the drums and one on the bassist and one on myself (3 piece). They have pigtails on them for easy daisy chaining of power by the way, so that is a little less cable to worry about straightening up.

• Members

I used them last night and believe it or not they were a little bright for me. I'll keep them because the do look good. It's just that they seemed to overpower my colorwash minis a little bit. It's hard to tell though because I didn't get any pics. I would really like something just a little warmer I think.

• Members

Really? You are talking about the Par39's from MCM right? If so, I may have found my front warm wash lights!

Yeah that's correct. I'm usually confined to such small places though- usually a corner. I'll go another couple of gigs though and see how they're working out. I will give them a glowing recommendation though (see what I did there?). The seem to be constructed well, they are plenty bright and the pigtail on them is a nice little addition. I seriously can't believe they're this inexpensive.

• Members

I used them last night and believe it or not they were a little bright for me. I'll keep them because the do look good. It's just that they seemed to overpower my colorwash minis a little bit. It's hard to tell though because I didn't get any pics. I would really like something just a little warmer I think.

A diffuser gel might help with that.

Archived