Lighting "Rules of thumb".

kmok86

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Never_Grew_Up View Post
Know what your lighting power load is and how to get it SAFELY.
The typical 4 channel tree-mounted dimmer pack is 4 x 600 watts, or 2400 watts total. That's a dedicated 20 amp circuit. If you have 1 at stage left, 1 at stage right, and 1 for backlighting that's 3 separate 20 amp circuits.
Don't use crappy orange home depot extension cords.
In the 'real' world of stage lighting, extension cords are 12/3.

On another note, start simple and add on as you get more experience and get a better idea what your band's show should be.

Buy quality equipment. There's a reason some no-name PAR 38 can costs $5.00 while a UL-listed PAR 38 from a reputable manufacturer costs more.
Good advice but to add to this so it's a world wide understanding of power/consumption.

Wattage divided by voltage gives you your current. That calculation works for not only world wide calculation based on different mains voltage, but with low wattage stuff too and will explain why a 50watt lamp at 12volts AC will use the same current as a 1000watt lamp at 240volts. Granted from the 12 volt transformer and not from the main supply, but it's still as relevant when choosing cable for a specific job..!

Regardless of transformer to lamp cable when the voltage is as low as 12volts. 50 watts divided by your main incoming voltage will give you how many amps the lamp requires to function.

Rimmer

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Bonair777 View Post
It never ceases to amaze me how "new" people to stage lighting try to turn the stage into some kind of a disco? Also, having lights auto sequence or sound trigger typically Always looks bad (IMO), unless it is manually triggered as an effect.
Why don't you just get a couple of "STATIC" lights of an enjoyable color and "LEAVE THEM THAT WAY?"
And If you actually have a lighting person, Just have them fade in some spots on the performers as they take their solos! (I'm amazed how many people ignore that!) Did these people "ever" go to a concert?
well what you're talking about is totally different from certain shows where it adds to certain genre acts.

Just depends on what genre you are and image trying to come across.

• 7 months later...
  • Members

Don't build any homemade lights, effects, or power distro until after you've worked with store-bought stuff for a while. Once you have an understanding of the power required, the heat produced by conventional incandescent fixtures, and proper grounding, then try to experiment a little if you want.

Setting a club on fire with undersized extension cords, setting off the fire alarm with a fogger/hazer, or setting off a sprinkler with 1000 watt PARs 6 inches away doesn't usually get you invited back for another gig.

• Members

Hi!

I'm a novice at best when it comes to stage lighting. I do a lot of solo and duo gigs for private parties and had been using the standard incandescent par cans for a few years, but with no controller or anything, just a couple of colored gels for static colors throughout the gig. Recently I took the plunge into the world of LED so I could get much greater color variety on stage as well as using DMX control.

I did my first gig with LED's and was thrilled with the performance of the lights, with one major problem. A few audience members told me that the reds made me look like I had a bad sunburn, while the blues made me look like I had the plague!

So, I could really use some advice. What's a good way to tone down those vibrant LED colors while still maintaining control over all lights and getting good color on stage? I know filtering the lights is a good idea right off, and I've gotten some filter film, which helps. But do I need to also buy some plain white lights to wash the stage with and shine the colors on a backdrop? And if so, is it possible to get just "white" LED's that I could control with DMX?

I'm VERY open to suggestions! Thanks!

Joel

• Members

Play with the RGB values. Don't dial in just a pure red, or a pure blue. When you put blue up, add some green and or red to the mix.

And if you are lighting each person with two fixtures, use different colors on each side. And try to use warm colors all from one side and cool colors from the other side. Don't mix warm and cool colors on a particular side.

Study color theory, it will help you make a better light show.

• 2 months later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by jwlussow View Post
The only thing that Behringer will ever manufacture that WON'T suck is a vacuum.
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif B-WHAH!

It's funny because it's true.

(Sad owner of two Behringer mixers that crapped out in the exact same manner).

(Twice bitten, thrice shy).

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Here's my two cents.

Keep it simple. Depending on the type of music, lighting does not need to be complicated to create a massive effect. For example, one of my favourite effects with lighting is simple open white backlighting with nothing else. Obviously used at the end of the song and things like that, not constantly.

There are times when the band should be lit fully, and times where they shouldn't (backlighting, solo sections). Don't fall into the trap of always having the band lit. Yes it is the main purpose of the reason why we're pushing those faders, however it can reduce the effect of what you're trying to achieve. Atmosphere is complimented hugely by certain lighting techniques, and by keeping the band perfectly lit and using effect lighting over the top, the effect is lessened. Obviously, again this should be 100% relevant to the music.

My next two points I believe are the most important techniques to learn in lighting:

1. Synchronization. It's everything. It makes or breaks the show. Know the songs for the band you are lighting. You should be the extra member, and your queues should be as tight as the band. This is EXTREMELY IMPORTANT. Being able to synchronize perfectly is the most valuable skill in lighting.

2. Darkness. Darkness is one of the best effects in lighting, which is rarely used. I cannot stress this enough especially on smaller rigs. When you don't have a lot of light to work with, snapping / fading to black can increase the effect ten-fold. Clever and practical usage of darkness is one of the most useful effects you can learn.

EDIT: Oh I forgot. One more thing. I strongly suggest when starting out, avoid using green. Green is ugly and its very difficult to make it look good. Once you understand colour theory and have a better feel for colour, then use it.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members
Quote Originally Posted by Rimmer View Post
Just had a thought.

One of my biggest recommendations for lighting a band (or stage in general) is to have a back drop to light. A lot of people will ignore this as they are too busy trying to light a the people and instruments in the band but the reality is often than a well lit band is lacking in the 3D space that they are in due to a perspective point behind them.

Back draping is usually quite cheap and sometimes free when there is a white wall behind the band.

Rimmer
I've been checking out photography backdrops on eBay. They are generally 10'X20'. However, that's 10' WIDE and 20' deep so as to have the scene continue under the photography subject. Since they are just muslin or canvas you could fold it in half and have a 10'X10' backdrop.

Some of the backdrops could be quite appropriate for a band. Since I play at beach bars I'm considering one of a tropical beach at night for about $80... mostly black with stars & silhouetted palms against a dark blue ocean.

However, note the cheaper ones are NOT fire-retardant.

• 5 months later...
  • Members

A few ideas -

1. Find out what the musicians need to do their jobs. Total blackouts at the end of song can be wrong when changing guitars and such. A darker color from the rear can be helpful to the band a setup the entrance for the next song.

2. Don't go nuts with the momentary switches. It's a novice move and you look like you're playing Wack-A-Mole on the console.

3. Try not to obstruct the artist's view of the audience or their instruments.

4. Cross fading can be very good.

5. If you use lasers, HAVE GREAT INSURANCE.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Everybody's right. Put a little light on the performers. We put (backlighting) down infront of the drums and in front of the back line - pointing upward and forward (we have 3 4 foot long metal bars with 4 pinspots on each -zip tied with a small power strip on each bar....this creates a cool "big show" effect like bars of white light going up behind the rockers). We have an American DJ Quad Jem above the drummer pointing out, just over everybody's heads....a fogger ,and some other stuff. I'm planning on getting 4 250watt moving head lights as well. This (with a pair of good sized strobes and a guy to turn everything on and off with the music!) should be enough to push people's wigs back a little. Fog is the key and like the other guy said earlier, use everything sparingly -NOT ALL AT ONCE !.....

-my 2 cents....

• 11 months later...
  • Members

Some good stuff here but it is important to remember to try new stuff and don't asume something looks good or bad until you actually try it. Most really good looks came through experimenting, something many never do. Likewise color and intensity both can add dramatic looks, it doesn't have to be full on or off. The comments about the band being the show and not the lighting, I don't agree. Though the lighting supplements the band, it should ADD to the show and make it more than the music and showmanship alone could achieve. Try and capture the mood in color and movement while not detracting from the music, simple as that! Also, consider the band between songs, though a black stage is nice for a dramatic start to a song, give the musicians and crew some light to set instrumants, swap guitars, etc. You can do this and have it look cool, just plan it in advance. One final detail, tape off anything you put down and use white tape any place sharp edges or changes in stage levels occur, like steps or risers for lighting or truss stand bases, etc...

Jack

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • Members

there are many good sayings .....

I think we should be a little artist, director and engineer to create a film of light ..... You do not forget about the main characters of his film (musicians) .....

To illuminate the back wall now produce a lot of 3-D laser to create three-dimensional images and live there ..... LED fabric that can be connected to the DMX or PC ..... but it's all just decoration light show to your group

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

a long time ago I just put two par 38 blue lights on an extra stick I had and that made a big difference just to have some color vs nothing.  We used that for about two years but we were just a small time bar band.  With the cool LED lights today so cheap your almost nuts not to have something.

Archived