Shure E5 Earphones

• Members

4midori: yes. An E1 or E5 can go between a custom sleeve or a universal one. So you can use your E1 or E5 with a custom sleeve, then take it off, put a foam on and let one of your friends try it.

J the D: Doe this audiologist have a website or anything? I'm interested in how he does his molding.

TrickDog: have you heard of Frequency Locater Mode in PSM400? It helps choose the best frequencies for each location you're in. Here's how:

With the receiver off, hold both of the side buttons down, and turn the unit on (just pact the click, no further) while still holding them. Once doing this you can let go of the buttons. The Antenna signal on the LCD display will start to flash. This means that you're in Locator Mode. Insert 1 earphone into your ear, while keeping the volume all the way down. Once the earphone is in, turn to the volume a tiny bit (it's very loud). Now you can scroll around the 16 frequencies and look for the clearest three (since there are three of you). You scroll around the same way as when you are changing channels. A "clean" channel is one where you hear a consistent white noise. An unclear channel is where you hear intermittent white noise, or no noise at all. The intermittence or lack of signal means that there is something on that frequency that could interfere with your signal. This is usually what causes those little "hits" that you spoke about.

Once you have three clear channels (write them down?), turn the receiver off. Now that receiver is back in regular mode.

Set the transmitters to those three frequencies, and then the receivers, and you should be good to go.

I hope this helps.

• Members

Sugarfriend:

No web site. He's just been doing ears for a long time.

Perusing this thread has led me to the Sensaphonic and Westone web pages. I called the audiologist late yesterday afternoon and cancelled my appointment. I'm going to go with the experience and get a Sensaphonic silicone sleeve made rather than using my expensive ear buds as someone's practice. I asked my guy if he did their work but he doesn't. Hoping there is someone closer, he's more than two hours away. Will actually be a little cheaper than what he wanted to do and I'll be dealing with a known product.

• 10 months later...
  • Members

New E5's yesterday.

superb! I upgraded from E1. My custom ear molds work for both.

The E5 look, sound and feel like the cadillac of the industry.

currently using a $55 Jensen 900mhz wireless system and am it's been working GREAT. Consumer stuff for sure. I bought it to check out the idea of IEM, but haven't seen a reason to spend the big bucks yet.

E5 are worth it.

• Members

Originally posted by sirdaniel

currently using a $55 Jensen 900mhz wireless system and am it's been working GREAT. Consumer stuff for sure. I bought it to check out the idea of IEM, but haven't seen a reason to spend the big bucks yet.

Does that mean no limiter? No protection from blowing you ears out?

• Members

I'm pretty sure that Westone is the OEM maker of the E5s. At least, I've found the UM-2s to be pretty much the same as the E5s. Westone offers them for a much cheaper price. Also, you get a really nice pelican case with them. The UM2s are $330. The UM1s are $100 and equivelant to the E1s.

Yeah, pretty much only sensaphonic and westone make the molds. I feel both companies are either superior or at least a bteer deal for IEMs when compared to Shure.

Also, sleeves are interchangeble for E1, E3, E5, UM1, and UM2. Westone offers the UM56 that fit all of them. Also, Shure carries a few universal sleeves that Westone doesn't carry.

• Members

i play drums and have no mic's except for the bass drum. i play loud so it's not a big deal. anyway, i have a monitor and it's alright. i mean if i wanted i'd spend the extra dough for a new one but i don't wanna. so would it be better to get iem's or stay with a wedge? wouldn't iem's make my hearing worse. i use a pair of $10 "hearo's" and i like them. but i wanna know wether the iem's can be heard over the crack f a loud snare and how bad the hearing damage is? i don't know f i wrote this clearly. i'm kinda tired and half asleep. thanx though

Archived