Good pulling vehicle for band trailer?

• Members

My wife's Aerostar (our 2nd) is rated for 4,000 lbs towing capacity and it does a great job pulling a 7x12 trailer. We bought it new with the towing package which included a lower ratio Dana limited slip rear axle and upgraded cooling and a transmission cooler. I tow the 7x12 utility trailer, my boat or a camping trailer with it with no problems. I like the fact it is built on the Ranger truck frame with the 4.0 engine.

The only unscheduled repairs I have had to do in 114,000 miles is replace the A/C which is a problem in the Aerostar and to replace the tie rod ends. Two things we did is upgraded to the next larger (Michelin) tire size over stock and installed heavier duty (Edelbrock) shocks. This makes a huge impact on the handling. This is one of the last Aerostar's that Ford made and we bought it knowing there would be no more rear wheel drive minivans. It has the largest interior capacity of any minivan that has been made and both my wife and I have been known to use every cubic inch.

Oil gets changed every 3,000 miles (book calls for 7,500) and the transmission fluid gets changed every seventh oil change (about 21,000, book calls for 30,000). I have just finished replacing every belt and hose as a preventative measure because the Florida heat takes a toll on rubber. Biggest disappointment was the stock stereo so it went to the stereo shop when it was two days old for a Kenwood CD and Infinity speakers. I also run a powered Bazooka subwoofer in it that is set up with RCA plugs so it is easily removed for hauling.

Mrs. D has been agitating for a new Mustang convertible (we are empty nesters now) and I will probably get rid of my bashed and battered Bronco 4x4 (194,000 miles) and make the van my daily driver. It won't do as well in the woods but it does fine at the boat ramp with the limited slip axle.

Since they are not being made any more the reatil value is non-existant. If you are looking for a great band van, a used Aerostar with the 4.0 engine and the towing package would do a great job.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by dirtyragamuffin

Me too...3800's with towing package. I've heard pretty miserable things about the Windstar.

Hmm, I just checked again. If you go to dodge.com, click minivans, click specs, go grand caravan, then 'dimensions', the spec shows:

"Towing Capacity - Maximum (Properly Equipped) - 1800 lb"

No mention of towing package, though "properly equipped" usually means just that. No big surprise if it's different than what you found though....

In defense of the Windstar, I had one problem....a transmission drip. The dealer replaced both shaft boots, and I doubted their diagnosis. Sure as {censored} they were wrong. It was a lease, so I wiped the garage floor up every week and let it go that way. But other than that there were no problems at all. I just hated the {censored}ing thing.....never compromise with your wife about your transportation.

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Audiopile

No doubt about the high neglect thing. I had a Datsun 610 that I bought for $100 and it had about 120K miles on it when I bought it. I had to put a battery in it... and a couple of new headlights... anyway... I ran the snot out of that poor thing... completely abused and neglected it... never did anything to it but pump gas in it... never changed the oil (in like 80,000 miles)... rode it hard... put it away wet... mud boggin, stump jumpin, never less than full throttle or full brakes, and it just kept going, and going, and going... Ever-ready bunny car. We sold it to a high school kid (for $60 with a full tank of gas) and then he REALLY ran the snot out of it for another 5 years or so and couldn't kill it either... I lost track of it after that. I'm sure if I even hinted of doing anything like that to my Chevy van... it would just roll-over and play dead.

For sure.

My all-time abuse victim was a '87 Sentra. Bought it new, it had no PS, AC, not even a day/night mirror. I threw a $50 stereo in it and used speakers. I changed the oil and filter three times, put one exhaust on it ($125) one set of front pads ($100) and at 110,000 miles, a set of tires ($325) but only because the tread was too low for winter use. I drove it for 6 years to 164,000 miles. That averages to 55,000 miles per oil change, though I know I went way long on between two of them.

Just so I knew it wasn't a fluke, my wife had an '88 with similar history, though it lost an alternator (warranty) and fuel pump ($300, but later Nissan reimbursed for it), and we only kept it to 125,000mi.

• Members

Drummer Jay...
Just to give somemore "advice", in case you haven't heard enough:

Keep the oil changed! Every 3000 miles or less!

Use good oil. (Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil)

Run good fuel (89-93 octane) whenever you can.

Don't use overdrive (on auto transmissions) when pulling a trailer
over curvy/hilly roads. The constand shifting and stress will wear out your tranny quick. Shift up into overdrive only when you know you're on a straight stretch that won't require shifting.

Make sure the tranny has plenty of fluid.

Keep plenty of antifreeze in it. Towing a trailer heats up the engine, and you need plenty of cooling capability.

Make sure you get a chevy! ;)

A manual tranny IS better, but only if you drive it right. A manual CAN give you more control, less motor and tranny stress, and better gas milage. It can also do the complete opposite, if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not confident with a manual, then get an automatic and keep plenty of good fluid, and be careful using overdrive as I mentioned.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Hmm, I just checked again. If you go to dodge.com, click minivans, click specs, go grand caravan, then 'dimensions', the spec shows:

"Towing Capacity - Maximum (Properly Equipped) - 1800 lb"

No mention of towing package, though "properly equipped" usually means just that. No big surprise if it's different than what you found though....

I think the 1800 quote is fo rhte base 150hp engine; I keep seeing 3800 everywhere else, and I assume that's for either the top engine option or all but the base engine...who knows...

I also know a couple cats with the Aerostar. True on all fronts, they're huge and they can tow quite well.

If you click on the link and go to "dodge towing guide" then to "by vehicle" that's where I'm getting the 3800lb number...all else I can say is I've seen caravans tow much more than 1800lbs without problem...I'm not so impressed with Dodge's website.

http://www.dodge.com/caravan/index.html?context=homepage&type=top

• Members
Originally posted by mackoid

Drummer Jay...

Just to give somemore "advice", in case you haven't heard enough:

Keep the oil changed! Every 3000 miles or less!

Use good oil. (Castrol, Valvoline, Pennzoil)

Run good fuel (89-93 octane) whenever you can.

Don't use overdrive (on auto transmissions) when pulling a trailer

over curvy/hilly roads. The constand shifting and stress will wear out your tranny quick. Shift up into overdrive only when you know you're on a straight stretch that won't require shifting.

Make sure the tranny has plenty of fluid.

Keep plenty of antifreeze in it. Towing a trailer heats up the engine, and you need plenty of cooling capability.

Make sure you get a chevy!
;)

A manual tranny IS better, but only if you drive it right. A manual CAN give you more control, less motor and tranny stress, and better gas milage. It can also do the complete opposite, if you don't know what you're doing. If you're not confident with a manual, then get an automatic and keep plenty of good fluid, and be careful using overdrive as I mentioned.

Good advice everyone!! I'm still leaning towards an older Blazer. I don't care about cargo capacity because the only thing that would be going in there is bodies and guitars..

I'd probably be fine with a manual.. I've been driving my SVT Contour for over a year now and its a manual... I'm pretty easy on them too....

Keep em coming.

• Members

Originally posted by drummer_jay

good thought... however, I'm selling my SPORTS car for this. I'm 21 and not ready to drive a mini van everyday yet!! So that ones out!!

I'm still on my first car (which I got when I was 23, I'm 27 now). It is an '85 datsun vannette covered in sign writing - not exactly the coolest car, but it's distinctive - anyone knows it's me driving - this has done a lot more good than harm.

Ps 1.4 litre engine, well over 500,000k on the original engine - then it needed to be rebored. All datsun parts so even with a heap of replacement starter moters, alternators etc. it's dirt cheap to repair and to run.

• Members

I just LOVE these foreign versus domestic opinions. I can't remember the last time I passed a car dealership, any manufacturer, that had it's service department closed due to lack of business. They all will break--regardless of which name badge is on it, where it was built, or how much they cost. The ONLY proven trick is to take care of it.

Rick

• Members

JUST MY TWO CENTS

CHOICES:
(1) You are going to pay a big price premium for an SUV over a van or pickup - I fail to see the value.
(2) If you get a four door pickup, you can haul 4-6 people, AND a lot of gear (presuming a topper).
(3) Most chicks like pickups for some reason........
(4) A full size van would be another cost-effective, non-ego-driven choice.

LONGEVITY:
I once knew the director of maintenance for the Yellow Cab company that covered Southeastern Florida, from Miami through North Palm Beach. He regularly got 400,000 to 500,000 miles out of most of his cabs. 600,000 miles wasn't unusual. Even then, the drive trains were fine - the bodies and interiors were worn out! That's for taxi-cabs! He said it was quite simple. Change oil every 3,000 miles, and replace all other fluids, belts and hoses on a regular, scheduled basis. Oh yeah, and God help any driver who continued to drive an ailing cab.

• Members
Originally posted by SoundMan

"Had a 95' full sized truck, standard cab, 305 with a 5 speed manual......................Other than that, I prefer a manual. When pulling the boat I had to run 75+ on the interstate to keep it in the powerband in 5th, hehe.

I'll vouch for that...I've got a '91 1/2 ton 4x4 with the 4.3L and the 5-speed manual. Not a lot of power (plenty to pull a good sized trailer), but I get 20MPG. In fifth, it seems like it's idling at 55...75MPH is definitely the powerband though---makes for good interstate cruising. It sucks if traffic is slow though...then 4th it is. I wonder what that transmission would top out at with a big V8 pushing it along...:D

Archived