What do you consider acceptable equipment reliability?

• Members

Originally posted by SpreadTheHate

I need more power too, so I figure if I'm going to get a more powerful amp, I might as well get a cleaner amp also. The RMX has .1% THD if I recall, where the PLX is lighter, and has .03% THD. I thought about getting another Carvin amp (which is also .03%THD) since I'm so happy with the one I currently use, but the PLXs have a much better rep, and more of a standard, not to mention lighter. Again, paying more for the reliablity and peice of mind that I have a quailty peice of gear. I don't have anything bad to say against the 1450, but I just think a PLX would be better. Thanks for the opnion though Aged. Adios.

Don't believe the whole THD (marketing) thing, the differences are really insignificant, and taking the amp rated at .03% and increasing the level about 5 watts will put it right over your .1% number no problem. With modern high global feedback amps, parameters and specs change very quickly around the clip point.

The major differences (at that power level) are the switching power supply in the PLX series. The basic amp designs are quite similar.

• Members

Originally posted by Zeromus-X

SKB has always impressed me with their customer service as well. I broke a case I've had for probably eight years while in transit... I have no idea how it happened but I pulled the case out of the van and the metal bar was cracked right in half. Sent it to them, there's a new one on the way. One of my latches broke on another case, wasn't even mine originally... sent me two new latches and plenty of rivets to attach it.

Ever wonder why they are so good at sending out parts... lots of practice. I cut my hand quite severely on a split aluminum valance on one of those racks, like a f***ing razor blade. Never even saw it coming. Could have been much worse too... only a 2-1/2" scar. Scared the {censored} out of me though, I thought I cut a couple of fingers off. There was that much blood!

The surface mount latches are notorious for breaking.

• Members

Interesting topic(s)....

The guitars I buy (Gibson, Martin, Fender) all have lifetime warranties, and the guitar amps (Fender, Marshall) have 5 year warranties. Since I started buying 'good stuff,' none of my guitars or amps have ever required anything but scheduled service, eg: tubes, etc. That includes stuff that is more than 30 years old. Given what I pay, how cautious I am with my stuff, and careful maintenence, this is what I expect. I wouldn't freak out if something failed - that's why I have multiple backups - but I would not be impressed!

I do not believe in add-on 'extended warranties.' I remember studying them along with the related MTBF calculations in a quantitative methods class in college. There is a reason the warranty companies make a profit!

In my opinion, the manufacturer's cost of providing a reasonable warranty should be included in the original selling price. I also believe that a decent warranty is an indication of a company's commitment to effective QC and good product design. Just my two cents as a consumer.

Archived