Voice effects and amplification

• Members

Hi guys,

I'm from the bass forum, but I'm trying to help my singer get some good equipment. And someone suggested I try around here.

First, are there effect units that exist especially for voice ?

My singer has tried a Kaoss Pad lately, which was interesting, but he said most patches were completely useless because they changed the sound way too much and whatever he sang basically became random noise.

He also tried a guitar multi-effect, but that didn't seem to work at all.

So I'm wondering what would be a good multi-effect unit for him.

Or could he use some device to amplify his voice first, and then send it through a guitar unit ?... If so, what kind of amplifyer should he use ?

We're thinking your classic effects, such as reverb and delay. But also weirder ones like maybe ring modulators and so on.

Another question : I'm thinking that if we had a PA (we use a small amp at this time), he could probably plug in a guitar effect through it and it would work better. In any case, we'd like to look around for one.

How loud must a PA be to compete with a 400w bass and 50w guitar amps ? And do you have good brands to recommend ?

Thanks. :)

• CMS Author

For effects, a decent processor like the Lexicon MPX110 will do 99% of what he'll ever need. It's got good reverb, delays, hall effects etc....all the typical effects. It's stereo and can be patched in and out a bunch of different ways. $200.

Unless you just want it for messing around don't bother with the units that give all the morphed effects. For a bunch more money he can get units that will add harmony doubling effects, but these require big $$$ to get something that won't sound cheesy.

• CMS Author

Regarding the PA question, what's your budget. If you're below $5,000 and play anything other than mild jazz, consider renting whatever you need until you have a good idea of what's good for you and what doesn't work. You'll also gain valuable experience by watching the engineer and asking questions.

Don't waste your time and money on tiny cheapo systems that will never carry a room. A 50w guitar amp can easily require 5,000 watts of good PA to keep up. Better to back off the guitar's volume, for a multitude of reasons.

• Members

Originally posted by Craigv

Unless you just want it for messing around don't bother with the units that give all the morphed effects. For a bunch more money he can get units that will add harmony doubling effects, but these require big $$$ to get something that won't sound cheesy.

Thanks. Didn't expect to see you here. :)

We'll look into the MPX110. But I believe he may want weirder effects as well eventually.

Can you recommend 1 or 2 of those pricier units so we can at least have a look at what they can do ?

• CMS Author

Originally posted by Ramanuman

Thanks. Didn't expect to see you here.
:)

We'll look into the MPX110. But I believe he may want weirder effects as well eventually.

Can you recommend 1 or 2 of those pricier units so we can at least have a look at what they can do ?

Yeah, I figured I'd surprise you:)

For more pricey, have a look at the Lexicon MPX1 or TC Helicon VoiceOne. Both are in the $1,000 price range.

For weird effects, Digitech's Vocal 300 (about $180) has some strange {censored}.

Archived