help me choose a snake, please

• Members

This is my second ever post. My wife says I have around $300 to spend (I think it's more, but I've been wrong before); bottom line is; I need a 100' 16X4 snake and want to get the best bang for my buck.

I have a Mackie 1642 VLZ PRO and two SR1530s for mains, with two SRM450's for monitors. Mostly this is used for bluegrass and folky type presentations.

For suggestions I would like: #1 - QUALITY, #2 BEST PRICE.

Thank you in advance for your responses.

• Members

I would recommend a Carvin reel snake. They run around $400.00 if memory serves, but the convience of a reel is incredible. Check it out and see what you think. I have been using mine for 2 years now and have no regrets...... it is the ONLY piece of Carvin gear I own.

• Members

I was just recently at audiopile's website, and he has reel snakes as well. I know his stuff is good and he's a great person to deal with and will take care of any problems or questions you may have. I'm not saying that the carvin stuff is bad, but customer service with Mark and Liz is some of the best around. and that is hard to come by these days, except for some good folks here on this forum. There are other brands of snakes out there that are very reputable, but i can't think of them at the moment. I'm sure someone else will suggest other snake companies to look at too.

Chad:cool:

• Members

I would like to thank each and every one of you for responding, and also those who may still respond. What great information! I tried to check out Audiophile's website but was unsuccessful, I emailed him though, so hopefully I can contact him in the near future. All of the advice really opened up some avenues that I had no knowledge of and I really appreciate your help. What a great resource this is, someday maybe I can contribute something that may be of use to someone.

Thank all of you again,

Stickbuddy

• Members

My school's sound system uses a mass disconnect. There's a Grundorf rolling rack with a Mackie 1604 on top that can be wheeled out into the middle of the gym; then they unroll the snake out there and there's a mondo connector on the end.

It'd be alright; but they didn't store the snake right and just looking at the lettering on the jacket; the specs go full circle twice during the length of the specs written on it.

But yeah - DEFINATELY speeds up setup.

• Members

Thanks Mark! Yep. Strictly weekend warrior stuff ;)

So this setup would require me to purchase:

Since you are recommending a 56 pin connector, I assume that some of the lines in the snake must be shared or all 20 could not be connected (3 pins each connector, 16 channels with 4 returns).

Thanks again for your help. This will really be a life saver for gig setups for my band. Plus I will get to dabble with the solder iron again ;)

• Members
Originally posted by OneEng

Thanks Mark! Yep. Strictly weekend warrior stuff ;)

So this setup would require me to purchase:

OneEng - i dont see any multi-core cable... and is it gonna be fantail-fantail? or do you plan on having a stagebox end? either way, i'd see you needing two male and two female multipin connectors - think like this:

stage end = fantail (or stage box) t0 male end

cable = female to male

mixer end = female to fantail...

and the question is something i've been wondering myself... do snakes share a ground at any point?

AS

• Members

I would need only one male and one female. The male would be conneced directly to XLR connections that are connected to the end of the snake. The female would be connected directly to XLR connections that are connected to the appropriate places within the rack. To connect the rig up, I would need only run the snake cable (with the permanently attached fan out) to the mixer rack and connect it to the mixer fan out connector..... done.

There is multi-core cable. I am not certian that there is any advantage to using it for a fan out such as this. I can wrap the area where the cabling goes through the strain relief with tape to get a nice bundle for the strain relief to pinch on.

Archived