It had all the earmarks of a nightmare, but...

• Members

Going in, last Saturday's gig had all the earmarks of a nightmare. The date was booked by our singer's husband at a bar in a town so small, we couldn't use on line route-planners to find it--it literally wasn't on the map. We were advised tha the room was "small."

I pulled the truck up outside the venue and hit the horn. The owner came out, introduced himself and offered to back the truck up for loadin. "The alley's narrow, but I back my own van in here all the time," he said.

That done, I went inside--pretty much what I expected--except that it wasn't "small." Plenty of room for about 150, big dance floor, no stage (typical of small town Wisconsin bars), and best of all, 4 dual gang 110V Edison boxes on separate 20A circuits, with a 50A 220V 4-pin drop.

Loadin was peachy--the ramp fit through the door into the venue.

maybe a fifteen foot push to the "stage" area.

At any rate, we had 'em screamin' by half way through the first set, had the PA running WFO by the middle of the gig (no complaints), did three encores, and wound up the evening with our singer doing high kicks on the bar as part of a 6-girl chorus line.

Got paid, took us less than an hour to rip down & run--a great gig.

Sometimes they don't go like you think they will--and that can be a good thing.

• Members

For some odd reason, every time that I roll my eyes when I walk into a bar and think that it's gonna suck, it turns out to be slammin'. I guess that you really can't judge a book by it's cover. We have a club that has us booked until Dec of 2004 and we ought to pay them to play there. They let girls dance on the bar with me all of the time. I remember the first time that I walked in there, I thought that I was in redneck heaven and that I'd never make it out of there alive. Now, we play there twice a month and I can't wait to do it. Those kinda gigs make all of the headaches worth it. ;)

• Members

Originally posted by bassknave

Going in, last Saturday's gig had all the earmarks of a nightmare. The date was booked by our singer's husband at a bar in a town so small, we couldn't use on line route-planners to find it--it literally wasn't on the map. We were advised tha the room was "small."

I pulled the truck up outside the venue and hit the horn. The owner came out, introduced himself and offered to back the truck up for loadin. "The alley's narrow, but I back my own van in here all the time," he said.

That done, I went inside--pretty much what I expected--except that it wasn't "small." Plenty of room for about 150, big dance floor, no stage (typical of small town Wisconsin bars), and best of all, 4 dual gang 110V Edison boxes on separate 20A circuits, with a 50A 220V 4-pin drop.

Loadin was peachy--the ramp fit through the door into the venue.

maybe a fifteen foot push to the "stage" area.

At any rate, we had 'em screamin' by half way through the first set, had the PA running WFO by the middle of the gig (no complaints), did three encores, and wound up the evening with our singer doing high kicks on the bar as part of a 6-girl chorus line.

Got paid, took us less than an hour to rip down & run--a great gig.

Sometimes they don't go like you think they will--and that can be a good thing.

pretty wierd how in small rooms you need to open a rig up and your still looking a

all those bodies so close suck up sound.......

Archived