12" or 15" for my drum fill...?

• Members

Hey all...

Need a drum fill for when we gig....being a loud drummer cant hear fark all..... Have haggled a good price for a yamaha club series sm151v...

Wanna run 2 guitars,vox and bass....and maybe my kick drum through it....

Main question is..... is in general a 15 inch monitor better for monitors than a 12...??? I mean...is it really worth the extra money...... i guess a lil more bass response wont hurt and a lil higher spl can always be good.... But is it worth the 12 for tighter responses.....

And has anyone used the yamaha club monitors for mains...! how do they sound... as they have a pole mount..... and i see this monitor series as a possible dual purpose if needed.... does the shape of the box make it differ from the foh model..???

Lots of questions here...hope someone can shed some light...

• Members

Well, the generic drum fill that i've used and see is usually a sub (18 or 15"), under a 15"/10"/1.3" full range box.

If your not going to get a sub, get the 15", otherwise go with a 12" with the sub (or have the cash, a 15"/10" combo).

I havn't used the SMxxIV series, so I won't comment on thier sound for FOH, but the trend is these days to make dual purpose boxes (double as FOH/monitor).

Archived