Live recording - CDR or DAT

• Members

I'm just jamming in the basement with the guys, but we like to torture ourselves by listening to the mess we just created :D. Actually, I pick a lot of new song ideas from our jam sessions. Right now I usually haul my dual cassette deck and just roll tape, but now that we're in the 21st century, the digital realm seems the way to go. Are CDR units capable of recording in real time and is this the way to go or should I go DAT? Either way, both mediums seem to be had cheaply on ebay. Thanks.

• Members

I've got DAT and various digital mediums to record live ideas. The advantage of my DAT is I can set it to run 4 hours, non stop on one tape. But, I don't use it anymore, since having the recordings on the computer make them so easy to cut up, erase, take out parts, or whatever. I record song ideas, shows, etc, on various types of digital media, for editing ease mostly. But, now it's always digital for me.

• Members

If the computer's handy, or you have a laptop system, use that, for the reasons stated. If you have to lug equipment to the band, use a standalone CD-R, DAT or even minidisc.

I always record live onto DAT and CD at the same time. If I get a good run, I can hand over the CD at the end of the day and forget about it. If not, I have the DAT, which will have been running continuously, to have another go with at home. I always keep DAT tapes from everything I record - at

Archived