Need advice on setting levels on DB500 & mixer

• Members

Yay! I finally made my next purchase in PA territory! I got a new Samson DB500 for $400! Hopefully it lives up to everything everyone says good things about it. I'm psyched.

I need your advise on setting levels on my mixer and the powered speaker. How loud should I turn the mixer main volume and how loud do I turn the volume on the db500? Which do I set first?

BTW, I have a Behringer ub2222fx mixer, Samson db500, and a Behringer b300.

Thanks for all your great advice over the past year!

• Members

I would start by following the directions that Samson has laid out for you, which can be found on page 6 of the User Manual. Basically it says set your mixer levels where you want them, so you've got a nice gain structure, etc., then bring up the gain on the speaker until it's as loud as you want it.

Personally (and I don't necessarily recommend this for you, but you can try it and see), I would probably crank the gain on the speaker until it started adding noise, then adjust everything from the mixer. It seems like this would be the easiest way to do it, but it may not work as well for low SPL events. In that case, I would probably follow Samson's steps.

As far as setting your gain structure, there are a million different philosophies on this, so find the one you like best. Personally, usually set all the faders to unity, then adjust the trim to where I want it and mix on the faders. Not always though, but most of the time. Many people do it differently. Although that's a little off the topic of this thread, so I won't go any further into that issue.

• Members

Well, the manual I saw here had a basic description on page 6, but maybe you didn't get the same one with your speaker.

And as far as their method, which will work fine, I would still probably do it the way I mentioned in my earlier post, unless one way worked better than the other.

Archived