My ultimate crossover frequency?

• Members

Hey all...

I was just reading the post where you guys were ragging on people with subs and 15" tops. Well that's what I have and haven't had any muddiness problems, BUT these were designed to go together so maybe that's why.

The question is this: On the subs, there is a crossover pot. It goes from 80-120 Hz. On these speakers, ( http://www.axemusic.com/Product.asp?pname=SXA250 and http://www.axemusic.com/Product.asp?pname=SXA180 ) where's the theoretical ultimate crossover point? Is there one? Or is it a matter of taste?

• Members

First of all, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the speakers you have. They look just fine (not that I looked that close, but still). The criticism you've been seeing is of dual 15" cabs with subs. Yours only have 1 15", which is a perfect combination, IMO. When 2x15 cabs are used with subs, the result is usually too much low-mid stuff, which means mud. I'm sure you can see why.

And as for the "Ultimate" crossover frequency, there really isn't one. Generally, I like to be around 100Hz with front loaded subs, but it all depends on what sounds best with those speakers and your music. Try starting on 100Hz sometime, and move down a little at a time, and find what sounds the most pleasing to you. I couldn't find much information on the subs when I was looking around quick, but 100Hz seems like a good place to start. Some people like to be at 90Hz, and others prefer 120. It all depends.

Sorry if I didn't really help much.

• Members

Try this. Take a CD of music that closely resembles your band's sound. Put it through your board. See what crossover frequency you like best. Sometimes 110 is good for us. Sometimes 100. Your results may vary but it's a good starting point to play with.

• Members

You may already know this, but don't forget there's also another variable. Before fine tuning the crossover point, try and get the output of each cabinet to sound good together. With single subs, this often means backing off the mains so they don't overpower the subwoofers. If you have to back off too much to where you can't get loud enough or eat into headroom then you don't have enough sub. In that case you either have to go with less low frequencies than you'd like or get more sub power (more subs, sometimes bigger amp if you are underpowering).

Once you've matched the outputs then you can play with the crossover point. Have someone listen while you turn the crossover. Note where they said they liked it (but don't tell them), then switch roles. When done, both of you listen to each setting. If you want to get real fancy, have a 3rd person switch the crossover while you both are listening so neither one of you know when "your" setting is being used.

It's interesting to know what sounds good to someone else isn't what sounds good to you. You also may find that just because you think you'll want to use 100Hz that's what you "like best". If someone else is adjusting the crossover you are going by what you think sounds best and not by a # that you're fond of.

If you find you like it at something pretty high like 200Hz then maybe your mains aren't up loud enough OR could be an EQ issue. In this case tweak a bit and repeat.

Archived