crossover : what useful features ?

• Members

I was comparing 3 medium priced crossovers : Phonic PCR2213, dbx 223XL, interM div-9123.

They offer different specific features, So I'm wondering which is most useful :

the Phonic has 0-4 ms time delay adjustment, but I wonder if delay compensation is useful to small/med PA...

the dbx has a 40 Hz HP filter to avoid low end rumble in the subs. I guess it's a pretty useful function to keep optimized power for the subs (sub bass just take too much amp energy)

the interM has no phase invert but mute switches. I found those very useful to test the system, but I'm afraid they can be source of problems on live situation. It's too easy to press or depress them accidentally.

So, what's the most useful feature for a small PA system : delay adjustment, phase switch or high pass filter ?

• Members

I'd go with the DBX. I don't think 4 ms of delay is significant and will not be noticed in the PA. A 40hz hi-pass filter is usefull. Plus DBX is a reputable name to me....Phonic is not and I don't know Interim.

BTW...I have the DBX 223xl in my rack as a backup to my Driverack PA and I've used it with good results.

• Members

The Inter-M has the HPF also. Delay is not important IMO for most applications, and I heard an absolutely atrocious use of a DRPA auto-eq last night.

Sad thing is the guys thought it was absolutely fantastic... I've never heard a JBL SR box sound so bad ever, and I am quite familiar with the box they were using. Putting tools like that in the hands of hacks is pathetic. The system would have sounded way better WITHOUT any eq at all.

Using auto-eqs requires the right application of the basic system being reasonably flat and arrayed properly, proper test mic and positioning, and an understanding of the process and knowing when something is not working out properly. Comb filtering due to improper arraying (one of their problems) can result is some wacky auto-eq curves. Theirs was beyond comprehension... and the sad thing is thatthey though it was great. :mad:

• Members

Seems that the same rule apply everywhere in music : keep it simple ! :)

about the inter-M, you're right but it's a 30 Hz high pass filter that works only on the mono summed channel. As we got 2 active subs, we wont' use this output for the moment.

• Members

Originally posted by Redbassman

Why would you mix stereo live?

I think there's a high pass filter built into the 2 way low pass channels also. They may not be switched though.

The mono summed output is to allow stereo operation of the tops and sum everything below say 100 Hz for the subs. It's a pretty common feature actually.

• Members

Thanks for your consideration(s), Audiopile ! After having tested 2 crossovers, I pretty much have to agree with your list. I'd even put nr 10 much higher as on some crossover it's so easy to switch the x10 crossover frequency on. The result is not good to the ears, neither to the woofers !

Archived