Headphones recommendation for drummer

• Members

We want to purchase some headphones for our drummer so that he can basically hear a monitor mix thereby eliminating the need for a floor monitor.

Any recommendations? We are currently running a generic headset from the "headphones out" on the mixer and it does an ok job but we'd like to use a monitor-type setup. I imagine there are headphones made just for this type of application but I like to hear some recommendations.

Thanks for all assistance.

-Samson

• CMS Author

Well, you can start out with just a set of their E2 earphones. They have a 1/8" TRS plug so are completely compatible with any common output source. For lowest bucks rehearsal setup, some of these and a small headphone amp like a Rolls, Art or Samson, and some cables/adaptors will put you in business. Run a line from your board's monitor out to the amp, adjust levels, and play.

For gigs, this would be cheesy to the max, so you'll eventually want to get one of the IEM wireless systems. Lots of $$$ but I think long term they are easier and way more effective than conventional wedges, amps, etc. Your back will thank you even if your wallet won't.

Archived