unbalanced TS to Mackie 1530 (xlr)

• Members

I need to connect unbalanced 1/4 inch TS on my patch panel to an xlr so I can connect a pair of Mackie 1530s for a gig next week. Never got around to making TS to xlr cables. I have a pair of Rat Shack 1/4 to xlr impedance matching transformers. Would this give me the line level to xlr connection that I want, or is line level a different animal than "high impedance"? Otherwise, guess it's the strap negative and shield on the xlrs and go that way. (It's Easter Sunday and I am short on xlr connectors).

Thanks!

Kim

• Members

Kim,

Ditch the transformers, they are mic level, and have a (aprox) 6:1 voltage step-down to the XLR side to achieve the impedance translation.

Either wire a 1:1 line level transformer with the primary connected to the tip & sleeve and the secondary side connected to pins 2 & 3, with an optional jumper (usually switched) between the sleeve/shield of the 1/4" and pin 1 of the XLR.

Otherwise, make up an adapter cable with tip going to pin 2, sleeve going to pin 1 and 3. Lifting the pin 1 connection may improve hum issues in some instances.

• Members

Got my list and I'm checking it twice :)

Kim

PS: I appreciate the insight you provided into the CAD KM412 kick mic. I had thought about getting one of their basic kits with mounts just to have on hand in a pinch. Can't get the drummer to pop for anything (although he's a multi-brand "endorsee" and something may come down the pike...eventually) and I can't afford the Shure/Sennheiser/AKG route at this time. 'Twas good news...thanks!

Archived