• Members

Anybody use one of these units?

http://www.dbxpro.com/IEQ15.htm

They seem like a good solution for the casual gigging cover band (like mine) without a soundman....dual unit, one side for mains, one for monitors, 15 bands of EQ for tone shaping, feedback suppression for when we don't have time to ring out the room (which is always), noise reduction and limiting built in.

Opinions?

Thanks

• Members

I have an iEQ 31 in my rack. Works great, sounds nice. However, I can't comment on the feedback thingy, as I've never actually used it and don't really feel like learning. But it is a very nice EQ. Nice faders, etc. Maybe I'll try the feedback thingy sometime, and let everyone know how it is. Actually, I don't think I've used the NR or limiter on it either. Huh. Well, it's there if I need it, I guess.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well, I ordered a dbx iEQ15 from Music123.com. for $499. But before it arrived, I was in my local GC and sitting in a rack was the same unit marked at $399. I ask the sales guy if they'd take $350...he says OK. So I take the iEQ15 home, go online and get a return auth. from Music123 to send they're unit back as soon as it arrives....

Sometimes, I love Guitar Center.

Anyway, I used the iEQ last weekend...the AFS works great. Used it in the monitors and they were more clear and louder than ever before. I had the AFS set with 6 fixed filters and 6 active filters.

Can someone explain how the limiter on this unit works? There's just one knob. The manual is unusually unclear regarding this part of the unit's function....seems to be written for someone with past experience using dbx limiting units, of which I have none. Thanks for your help.

• Members

Come to think of it, I've never used the limiter on mine either. I've never used any of the "extras" actually, maybe I should try that one of these days.

Basically, the limiter should be set to engage just before whatever piece of equipment after it will clip. This may be the monitor amp, and the limiter would be used to protect the amp and speakers. All the way clockwise is basically off, and you turn it down from there if you need the protection. When the level coming into the EQ hits the point where that is set, the limiter engages.

Hopfully I explained that well enough, but like I said, I've never used mine either. Ideally, you would never be pushing your stuff hard enough that it would engage, but it's there as a safeguard.

Archived