Balanced/Unbalanced Question

• Members

Thanks in advance for your time folks. This is my first post in this forum.

True or False

If I use a 1/4" balanced TRS cable between two unbalanced 1/4" jacks, the balanced cable will always work as if it were a normal 1/4" unbalanced instrument cable?

Reason I'm asking is this. I currently have both balanced and unbalanced connections in my guitar rig signal chain, however I'm getting ready to order a custom multi-pair snake just to hook up the rig. In the future I may have all balanced ins and outs on my guitar rig. Therefore, I figured I'd order the snake with all 1/4 TRS balanced connectors. Good idea or not?

Thanks,

Brett

• Members

Here's a map of my signal chain.

UB- Unbalanced

B- Balanced

Sennheiser wireless out - UB

Vox Tonelab SE In - UB

Vox Tonelab SE FX Send - UB

Carvin Tone Navigator In - UB

Carvin Tone Navigator Out - B

Vox Tonelab SE FX Return - UB

Vox Tonelab SE Stereo Outs - B

Carvin 100W Stereo Tube Pwr Amp - UB

• Members

Sometimes, TRS connectors will not work properly depending on what type of jacks are used with the equipment.

For example, using a piece of gear with a balanced TRS input, with another manufacturer's gear that has unbalanced output but with a TRS connector (very common) will often not work if the ring on the output is left floating.

You will need to try with your setup and see what doesn't work.

• Members

the simple rule of thumb is this -

unless both ends of the connection (i.e. output AND input) are balanced, as well as the interconnecting cable, the connection will be unbalanced.

right now, you've got an unbalanced component in each part of the chain - so balanced cable doesn't help (and, as Andy put it, it might even make things worse).

having said that - you did mention you might be getting all balanced gear soon. IIWY i'd get the custom snake when i got the balanced gear.

just my 2p

AS

Archived