compressor settings

• Members

I know some of you don't recommend using a compressor on the full mix but I do and I would like to know how you guys that do use them set them. I generally go with what the owners manual recommends but I believe the pro's probably have a better idea on how to use things for live music. I have turned every knob and have never heard the pumping that some talk about.

• Members

Here's a snazzy little chart, although I don't know if I agree with the "mixes" part. Seems to me you'd want to use the compressor as more of a brick wall limiter to squash an accident before it goes nuclear. I suppose, if running sound from the stage, it could be helpful if someone gets a bit loud here and there.

compressor_settings.jpg

• Members

IF you DO want to use compression on the final mix you should try a "multi-band" model like a TC Finalizer or Phonic make a $250 unit "dual band" unit that's pretty sweet for the $$$. Sometimes they are a good thing, sometimes not.

The recommendation on the chart seems realistic ... but you probably won't really "hear" any difference till you are getting 6-10 dB of gain reduction.

• Members

Originally posted by troyri

I know some of you don't recommend using a compressor on the full mix but I do ........

And why do you do this? What effect or purpose do you have in mind?

The answers to these questions would be extremely important in determining how to set up the compression.

Archived