wireless interference help, (iems and shure lx)

• Members

Hey all, the band recently purchased a closeout package on 5 sets of wireless IEMs..yes they're of the cheaper variety..but we couldn't turn down the price for now..something to test ourselves on.

Anyways..it's 4 frequencies..(bassist and drummer share..or will) and it's VHF. I've used it around my house and the bassists in testing and it's been great..brought the rig to practice tonight and it was a zoo. I don't remember the exact frequencies of each unit off the top of my head but they weren't interfering with each other in the other places. Also, the 3rd transmitter seemed to be having all sorts of squelch fun with the lead singer's lx series wireless.

Now...I've been doing this sort of thing for about 10 years now..but i'm fairly new to IEMs. We've never had a problem with our singer's wireless before..and before buying the in-ears i checked the channels/freqs and they seemed to be nice and spread out...how far do vhf channels need to be? any other culprits to try to weed out (ac lines,distancing racks,etc) ...or just general faqs or articles i could be pointed to would be great.

cheers

• Members

Realize that wireless "channels" are not just one channel only. That number is the strongest channel and there are a bunch of "sidebands" that are active too. Manufacturers usually are consistant so that the sidebands don't interfere with adjacent channels but when you mix brands there are no guarantees. I suspect this will never work for you without problems. One or the other's frequency will need to be changed.

It's not about the channels beeing spread out 'far', it's is about the specific frequencies.

Archived