Peavey Impulse 1012 or EV SX300

• Members

pretty similar speakers, molded enclosures, cast frame woofers, titanium 1" throat tweets.

The peavey says it will handle 500 watts cont., 1000 program, 2000 peak

the EV is 300 cont., 600 program, 1,200 peak

Anyone have any opinions on these?

thanks for all the help you guys have been giving me these last few weeks, I think I'm getting closer to realizing what I want.:D

• Members

BW equipped,

the ElectroVoice has a DL12, excellent speaker as well, cast aluminum frame, 300 watts long-term power capacity, 100-dB sensitivity

ev-dl12bfh.jpg

the Peavey has 90x40 horn

the EV has 65x65

the power rating on the Peavey is higher, but I can't imagine the EV is any slouch.

Anything else to look for?

the EV is probably about 100 bucks more per speaker.

• Members

Does the Peavey come with a Scorpion or a BW driver. The Scorpion is very similar to the EV DL-12, but with both drivers, my experience is that a 400 watt amp (regardless of what the manufacturer's paperwork may suggest" is about all that either box can reliably handle. I just reconed a couple of Scorpion 15" and about a half-dozen DL-15's for exactly that reason. Both use 2.5" edge wound voice coils and both are high quality drivers with similar performance so I would suggest listeningto each and making up your own mind.

• Members

I've heard thee two cabs together, there is no comparison. EV sounds way better by far, much more detailed and articulate. As far as power handling goes the EV is in that range it'll take whatever you give it as well as the PV.

pete

• Members

Interesting. I A/B'd the SX300 to the older Impulse 200s. To me, it was no contest. The Peaveys sounded more natural and had a more balanced tone. I wound up with the Peaveys. Ironically, It was listening to the SX300s on a cruise ship that REALLY caught my attention...I had a hard time believing that a small plastic enclosure could cover such a large room and sound so good while doing it. Again, to MY ears, the Impulses sounded better than the SX300s. YMMV.

Kim

• Members

Originally posted by thunderpaw

... Ironically, It was listening to the SX300s on a cruise ship that REALLY caught my attention...I had a hard time believing that a small plastic enclosure could cover such a large room and sound so good while doing it.

did you mean the impulse?

Hmmm, I want to "listen" to them, but IMO I could only do that in a live situation... I'm not sure how I could achive that.

I know I've always liked EV speakers, but I used the Peavey Impulse speakers with my band for 4 years and they never failed. I would spend the extra money for the EVs if I knew they sounded better.

The "detailed and articulate" sounds like what I'm looking for.

Thanks for all the help, it means a lot!!

• Members

No, the SX300s were what I heard on the cruise ship. They were the first of the molded enclosures that I had ever heard. I was very impressed and went to buy a pair. That's when I A/B'd them to the Peavey Impulse 200s. I liked the Peaveys a lot better than the SX300s, so I bought them instead. I remain very satisfied with them. Were I looking for a similar design now, I would want to try the Yorkville NX series and the FBT Maxx series, too.

Kim

• Members

The NX350's weight and size makes it a killer monitor, but I wouldn't want it as a "one trick pony" FOH speaker. If used in combination with subs, would do OK in really small venues with a full band, but couldn't really handle that large a joint.

The NX550P's have more power handling and a beefier woofer. Of course, these aren't passive speakers though. They'd be able to handle your average strip mall venue. They don't through super far (80 degree horizontal dispersion I believe).

One thing to consider is that the EV should throw the sound noticeably further (65 versus 90 degrees). 65 is a good pattern. Wide enough to cover at close range, but narrow enough to focus the sound and throw several feet farther into a room.

Archived