Playing pre-recorded inst. with live show

• Members

Need some advice on wheather or not to try this.

Goal: To pre-record keyboard and or rhythm guitar parts of a song, and be able to play live with these.

? - Is this a difficult task? (ie. plan on TONS of time and $$$)

? - Will we need to play the whole song to a click track and start the song and recording together or can it be triggered and sync'd?

? - Point me in the right direction w/ info, gear rough $, etc.

Looking more for keyboard than r. guit.

Thanks,

Keith

• Members

Our band just played a gig a couple of weeks ago and the band that followed us had some pre-recorded tracks or samples. I'm not sure if it was CD based or not, but the loud hits from the subs (both FOH and drum monitor) were causing the unit to skip:eek:! They had to restart several songs and finally just gave up after about 4 songs. Like I said, it might have been CD based, so a solid state unit (like an MP3 player or something) MIGHT work. That's not something I would have thought about until I actually experienced it. It was not fun for them :(

Just something to keep in mind; good luck finding a solution.

• Members

Originally posted by tubes4tone

Our band just played a gig a couple of weeks ago and the band that followed us had some pre-recorded tracks or samples. I'm not sure if it was CD based or not, but the loud hits from the subs (both FOH and drum monitor) were causing the unit to skip:eek:!

Karaoke CD's (CDG's) are very prone to skip if the player is too close to subs. Don't know if it's the format or the players.

• Members

We occasionally use a Roland 8trk rack mount hard drive unit for sequenced tracks.

We learned the hard way that it is prone to glitching with serious low end rumble on a stage.:eek:

We cured that by putting the unit in its own rack case and laying it on a layer of acoustic foam to absorb any shock. No worries now...........

• Members

I have been through this scenario as an engineer hundreds of times.

Adat 8 tracks out to monitor world and FOH

Cool -

because one could mix the tracks to tase.

PIA -

because 7 tracks of audio and 1 click for ears was an issue in smaller clubs with not enough inputs.

Computer

cool because all mixes already done, click and music split left and right.

PIA

computers crash

Digi Multitrack

Same as computer

Sampler

Its a friggin computer

CD/ Mini disc

Seems to be the best option so far.

they work 99.99% (especially with anti-skip buffers)

can be bought as rack mounts (shock cases please)

you can back up data easily

split left and right for click and music.

In ears always seem to work best in these situations.

My $0.02

YMMV

Mick

Archived