Q about live recording

• Members

to record live rock band

# of I/O's needed 14-18

purpose: want to set-up a mobile studio

now the Q....

Should I begin w/ an AW (Yamaha AW 4416 or such) or G4/PT- Digi 002 (or Nuendo/Motu)?

Own so far: Mackie 1402 VLZ, Tascam 20-MKII, 57's, 58's, D112, 414, 421's, Prologues

(and fooling around w/ Laptop XP/Fruity L., Reason, Nuendo, CD burner)

I'm broke but don't want to go toooooo crappy.

I tried to keep this simple......hope is enough info

I've read many posts, but would like some advice n critics

• Members

Originally posted by xonik

I'm broke but don't want to go toooooo crappy.

That might be tough...

How many tracks do you want to able to record live at the same time? Purpose of the recordings? Is it to make a CD, demo, or just for the band's presonal use?

• Members

*I want to make demos, CD's.......... for now

*trk around 14 - 16 at once

*broke means the "more I save the better", in the lo 4 digit$$$.....

hhhmm....thinking Pro Tools (compatibility and know some) but the voices in my head say try Nuennnnndo..... Nuennnndo......... Nuennnndo.....(still don't know it well, but friends recommend)....

:confused:

• Members

Definitly NOT the AW4416. All in one recorders are a PITA to work with and you will run into compatability issues down the road. I'd say Digi002 but you'll have to add a few 8 channel pres. I'd look at the Motu stuff, there's one that will do 24I/O at 24bit/48k resolution. That with a mac or PC and you're set. The software is up to you. You can only use protools with the digi hardware so keep that in mind. Protools is getting better about importing files but not entire sessions from another platform.

p

• Members

Originally posted by Mick LoMauro

Recordist rented a splitter snake (split between FOH and Rec rig)

VERY important! With transformer-balanced preferred so the grounds can be lifted if necessary. You don't want phantom power from the PA hitting your rig, and you don't want to cause problems with the FOH sound either.

Archived