Just got a MG16/6fx

• Members

It arrived last night from Musicians Friend.

Wow! The internal effects are pretty good, some are a bit cheesy too. Many of them sound identical to my old Alesis Nanoverb. In fact, with Plate #3 and Hall #1 on the mixer, I could not tell the difference from Plate #2 and Hall #2 on my Nanoverb in a blind test. On the Nanoverb, those were the only two reverbs I ever used any way.

The mixer is quiet, the graphic EQ isn't going to do much for feedback problems, but is a great master tone-shaping tool. The channel EQ is good, and the preamps are excellent for a low priced mixer. As mentioned in other posts, the in-line transformer is less than ideal, the the whole mixer only weighs 12 pounds. I can throw it in a bag and go.

As with most budget mixers, you have to be knowledgeable with headroom, and know how to get the most out of the mixer with as little noise as possible. For example, if you turn up the effects return all the way, you will get a ton of hiss. However, there is no clipping with the internal processer, so you turn up the sends all the way, and keep the return low.

Highly recommended.

Archived