Opinions: Samson db500a Bi-Amped Active Speaker

• Members

I'm a keyboard player and my keyboard amp has recently fizzled out. I have tried a few Roland and Peavey keyboard amps but they just can't handle the bass output from my Korg Triton. I run my synths thru a small Yamaha mixer 10/2 stereo out to the PA and the I run CR/out to the amp. I have been recommended to try a number of active PA speakers... primarily the Mackie SRM 450 and the JBL EON. I rented the Mackie and didn't like it at all (hated the XRL input) and my keys sounded very muddy. The EON and the SRM450 are both out of my price range. I have an opportunity to snag a used Samson db500a for $300. It fits my budget and looks to fit my requirements for a monitor... and then some.

Anyone have experience with this beast? It's 500 watts(400speaker, 100 driver), 61 lbs and can lay on it's side for near or far monitoring. It is a bit big, but it's the best I can find in my budget ($300-$400).

• Members

From what I hear they're decent, so I'd say go ahead and pick it up. You probably aren't going to do any better for $300 anyway.

I personally don't like either the Mackie or Eon. I dislike the Mackie's all the way around, but the Eons sound pretty good at low volumes. Unfortnately, they don't sound all that good at moderate volumes, but that's all the louder they get. I have a pair of them in my trailer right now, coincidentally, and they just don't have the power that my little Yorkville NX520P's have.

In any case, the Samson should work well for you. I've heard good things about them.

• Members

As best as I can figure out,

powered speakers are ratee from best in this order:

Yorkville NX550 / Mackie 450 (both are top) Those that use York swear they are better.

Peavey 1012s

Samson db500a (rated good, but not sure about the service. Heard complaints from Samson)

Peavey PR12p

• Members

As B. Adams said, for $300 you aren't going to do any better. Should be plenty loud and have decent bass response. Sure, not the lightest powered cabinet out there, but your standard 15" MI passive cabinet such as the Yamaha Club IV is comperable in weight.

Archived