Help please, I need a pad!

• Members

How's it going everyone?

I need some help, suggestions.

I have a yamaha MG16/6 board and so far have been very happy with it save one important feature: a gain pad for the individual channels. I realize this is a cheap board but dang they would have been awesome. Is there some kind of cheap pad I can run before the channel or something, maybe can I even build something myself? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

• Members

Yes, we carry balanced XLR pads in -10dB through -50dB. They run $15.00 each. E-mail me (agedhorse@aol.com) if you are still interested.

Generally, though not always, you can reduce the send level from a line level device enough to avoid input overload since typically there's about 20dB of gain w/ the trim at minimum and that will take +4dBu but just barely.

Are you having trouble w/ channel clip lights coming on w/ trims at minimum???

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Yes, we carry balanced XLR pads in -10dB through -50dB. They run $15.00 each. E-mail me (agedhorse@aol.com) if you are still interested.

Generally, though not always, you can reduce the send level from a line level device enough to avoid input overload since typically there's about 20dB of gain w/ the trim at minimum and that will take +4dBu but just barely.

Are you having trouble w/ channel clip lights coming on w/ trims at minimum???

yessir, the gains are completely down and still getting some channel light clipping, both from keyboard send (output from a separate mixer) and from different mics on loud locations (snare, kick, guitar) This is a cheap board so I expect it's not the greatest.

Example: last night the guitar player and keyboard player were exremely inconsistant with their levesl, at some times I had to turn the gain up a but then others times (especially the guitarist) the clip light would just start lighting up even with the gain all the way down.

Moving the mic away from the amp cab a few feet helped some but that doesn't seem right.

I guess this is why the cheap stuff is cheap, or maybe I'm just doing something completely wrong.

What lecvel pad would you recommend? It seems -20db is a popular pad level or should I go more extreme?

• Members

Originally posted by lucho_84

What mic are you using and how is the cab mic'd?

with the guitarist last night I started with a beta 57 then tried a SM 58 and the results were the same. I was using a boom stand and at first it was miced facing straight on offset from the center of the cone and then I tried a few different locations. The amp itself was very loud.

• Members

Originally posted by agedhorse

Turn the keys send and the mixer down a bit. That will take care of those channels.

By chance are you using a lot of low freq eq boost on the kik and bass channels? That eq gain is reflected in the clip light sensitivity as well.

unfortunately that was the weirdest part...

I usually try to never boost things on a channel, only cut. I tried spinning all the EQ knobs all the way down on the guitar channel and it STILL clipped like crazy, maybe it was a bad channel on the snake? I rented the snake and I know it had a bad send on it, maybe one of the mic inputs was faulty as well?

About the keys, would it be better yet to run a DI between his keys and the mixer?

Also, with the kick, I use a Audix D6 and ususally never need to boost the low, it seems to have a great voicing with the channel pretty much flat.

• Members
Originally posted by RoboPimp

About the keys, would it be better yet to run a DI between his keys and the mixer?

Absolutely. Are you running into the mixer with a 1/4" to XLR adapter?
:eek:
If so, you are crippling the mixer's ability to deal with the signal, plus exposingthe keyboard to possible damage from phantom power from the mixer.

Also, with the kick, I use a Audix D6 and ususally never need to boost the low, it seems to have a great voicing with the channel pretty much flat.

Some mics will output very high levels. I don't have personal experience w/ the D6.

Archived