Samson XM910 Protect Mode Problem

• Members

hey guys. new on here, know nothing of p.a. but just purchased one. ran bass through a channel in it, it went into protect mode because it got overloaded, and now it's staying there.

am i an idiot? yeah... but what should i do to fix it, or deactivate protect mode? samson hasn't posted user manuals on their website for this model, and i don't have the paper manual.

and don't worry, i won't run bass straight into it without a direct box from now on. hopefully now that i've found this forum i can figure out what the heck i'm doing with this thing. thanks.

• Members

I doubt running the bass (w/o direct box) directly into a channel is your problem.

I'm assuming protect mode is shutting down the internal amp of the powered mixer due to overdriving/overheating it by driving it too hard on the output of the amp...not the input (bass)

I see by zooming on the powered mixer image on the Samson website that there is a protect light on both amp1 and amp2. Are both illuminated?

It's really unacceptable in this day & age to not offer a PDF of the user manual on the website. A big negative for Samson!

Frank

Guest Anonymous

Originally posted by avengerjimmie

what should i do to fix it, or deactivate protect mode?

Chances are you'll need to replace the stuff that has quit working inside the amp.

• Members

Originally posted by Audiopile

Chances are you'll need to replace the stuff that has quit working inside the amp.

Like Mark says, you have an internal amplifier problem that needs to be serviced.

Deactivating the protect mode? It's there to protect your speakers from an amp fault. That's like deactivating the seatbelts because you are going to crash!

• Members

well, we were running it bridged into two speakers. one protect light is on. the other amp works fine and we've been using that. you think the other amp is blown? that would suck. i just got it, brand new, we weren't running it that loud either. freakin' crap.

One of them has a problem...not sure what. You should call customer service.

You ran it bridged into two speakers? Assuming they 8 ohm speakers that makes for a 4ohm load. When you bridge amps into a 4 ohm load...that represents a 2ohm load to each amp. I seriously doubt those Samson amps are spec'ed to that load. Sound's like it might be operator error (no offense!).

Frank

Guest Anonymous

well, we were running it bridged into two speakers. one protect light is on. the other amp works fine and we've been using that. you think the other amp is blown? that would suck. i just got it, brand new, we weren't running it that loud either. freakin' crap.

Running it bridge into two speakers? Like the amp set to bridge/mono? One speaker plugged into the left side and one speaker plugged into the right side?

• Members

bridged mono. one output to one speaker, daisy chained to the other speaker. 8 ohm loads each.

for reference, the speakers are old, old toa 1x15s with a horn. they are terrible, and could be part of the problem as well.

yeah, it was definitely operator error. i don't know much about p.a. stuff. wish i'd known more before messing with 'em :(. i guess i will call customer service. i just thought it was a protection mode for the amp itself, to keep it from frying. ignorance sucks. thanks guys. hopefully this site will rectify that.

Guest Anonymous

for reference, the speakers are old, old toa 1x15s with a horn. they are terrible, and could be part of the problem as well.

TOA's with 1/4" jacks?

yeah, it was definitely operator error.

What was the "operator error" portion? The resulting 4 ohm load or something else? When did you suspect there was a problem (besides the red protect light?). I'm curious what the sequence of events were? Do both of the TOA speakers still function?

BTW: P.R.O.T.E.C.T sometimes stands for:

Please Return Object To Experienced Correction Technician.

• Members

yeah, they have 1/4" jacks.

i assumed it was operator error when i ran a bass directly into a channel, heard a pop (the jack in the bass is bad, and i think it was the equivalent of unplugging the cable. there was a loud pop.) and the p.a. turned off. i guessed i might have miscalculated the load, been stupid to run bass straight in or something else. anyway, i figured it was my fault, by i don't know enough to actually know.

Guest Anonymous

yeah, they have 1/4" jacks.

i assumed it was operator error when i ran a bass directly into a channel, heard a pop (the jack in the bass is bad, and i think it was the equivalent of unplugging the cable. there was a loud pop.) and the p.a. turned off. i guessed i might have miscalculated the load, been stupid to run bass straight in or something else. anyway, i figured it was my fault, by i don't know enough to actually know.

Do both the TOA speakers still function?

The trouble with 1/4" jacks on the speaker cabinets is when the jack is cycled (plugging in or unplugging the speaker cord at the speaker cabinet) or if the speaker cable becomes partially unplugged but is still inserted into the speaker cabinet, then the amplifier will be dead shorted. If the speaker cabinets are equipped with 1/4" jacks, then only plug-in or unplug the speaker cables with the amplifier off... and make sure the cables never come unplugged with the amp on.

The big "pop" might have snuffed something in one or both of the TOA speaker cabinets which could have created a dead short. It would be a good idea to check the ohms of the speaker cabinets with an ohm meter before experimenting with an amp to see if the cabinets still fully function.

It could be that the big "pop" might have pushed the amp hard enough to snuff something in the amp, which could be likely in bridge/mono at a 4 ohm load.

Archived